Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Big gobbler down in KY

Started by BowBendr, April 18, 2015, 10:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BowBendr

24 lbs - big hooks - gonna push 70 points.
Setting here in a blind on a very rainy Sunday morning, thought I'd update.
Opening morning I was setup on a stud of a tom we had watch go to roost thru a spotting scope. I was between him and 5-6 roosted hens. Heard big boy sound off on cue. He got on the ground and wen't nuts as I called to him. The hens flew down and got all around me at under 5 yds. he came on in, puffed up and strutted around me at 40 yds. or so for 30 min, but never came close to giving me a shot. It was hard to sit like a rock that long with hens walking around my feet. They finally fed on off away from me with him in tow. He'd gobble once about every 30 min. so I kept tabs on him and called softly back to him each time he'd gobble. They never got any more than 100 yds. away.
About 11 a.m., 2 big toms start tearing it up down in a pasture about 200 yds. away. Got this bird fired up and he came on up the field, crossing thru 4 interior barbed-wire fences to get over to the corner of the woods I was in,  he hit the timber blew up again and started around behind me. Couple soft clucks got him stopped and the 20 busted him at 30 yds.
At 24# he is my heaviest bird ever. Has a 9.75" beard and has matching 1.25" sharp spurs.
Great day of hunting, from sunrise until I shot, there was always a bird gobbling and the weather was good...not so much today but the forecast is looking good. We'll see if we can get tagged-out up here soon.

Sent by this stupid phone

Tennessee Lead

Awesome Tom! Congrats

Sent from my iPhone that I ain't smart enough to use with tapatalker

derek

www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

Fullfan

Sweet way to go man, stud for sure...
Don't gobble at me...

MDbowman

canadatom

DMP

Great job.   That's a great bird.

Duke0002

Doug Lewis

Heavy weight! That's a stud of a bird man!