turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best brand of crow call?

Started by Timmer, March 25, 2011, 05:39:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timmer

Alright, I've found tons of recommendations for the Hook's Harrison Hootin Stick for an owl call.  What about a crow call?  Is Hook's crow just as good or is another one better?  
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

LeviSS

I hunt crows and have several custom calls.  I have Gibson, Mincey, and Slayer.  The Gibsons are my favorite.  There's a guy that sells several crow calls on ebay that has great prices and service.  It's the guy that has the "Eating Crow" video - Jerry Tomlin.

gobbler777

There is also this Old Gobbler member that owns Crowmart and sells all the Gibson calls and the Jack Mincey calls. Check it out and/or call me. Regards
For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland

bigjb

I have a hooks crow call and really like it. Don't know much about other kinds but I'm satisfied with it

BIGBOB

I have a Buckner crow call that is the best i have heard.

shootumindaface

Do you want to hunt crows or do you want to locate gobblers. Locating gobblers is about sheer volume and pitch.. I have never run a crow louder than Harrison and it can be blown a lil higher pitch than a crow.. With the high number of crows in most areas you need these two things to illicit a shock gobble.

With that being said the crow calms down to crow like volume as well.

TRKYHTR

Hooks or Buckner both sound good.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Basin_hunter

I have a Primos Power crow. It has a very loud / shrill sound. I picked it up at academy a couple years ago for around 10 bucks I think. If you are looking at a call for shock gobbling the power crow is worth trying. I usually only have to blow it a few notes and all the crows within the vicinity start sounding off.  :gobble:
In fall we rut, in spring we strut

M Sharpe

I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

LeviSS

Quote from: shootumindaface on March 26, 2011, 09:27:21 AM
Locating gobblers is about sheer volume and pitch..

I haven't heard the Harrison, but any crow call can be tune to a higher pitch by moving the reed in.  I used my higher pitched calls to turkey hunt.

Nimrodmar10

I'm like Basin_hunter. I've got a couple of the Primos Power Crow calls. One I keep in my vest and the other in my truck. I've never used a custom crow call but I might try one one day for crow hunting. Does anyone know if Bob Aronsohn makes a crow call. He's like the best crow hunter in the world.

LeviSS

Quote from: Nimrodmar10 on March 27, 2011, 02:34:20 PM
I'm like Basin_hunter. I've got a couple of the Primos Power Crow calls. One I keep in my vest and the other in my truck. I've never used a custom crow call but I might try one one day for crow hunting. Does anyone know if Bob Aronsohn makes a crow call. He's like the best crow hunter in the world.

He doesn't make a call.  He uses Jack Lee Mincey calls.  He's very active over at Crow Busters...very nice guy.

Scout24

I've had so-so luck with the Primos and HS Strut and really wanted to try a custom. After doing a two week 'net search I went with the old tried and true Gibson, the crow hunters really loved that one. The OG guys raved about Harrison's call by Hook's. Midwest has the Gibson for $28 plus shipping while Ebay had the same one for $25 with cheaper shipping. Like most calling,  I really think the caller makes the difference more than the call, but a good call doesn't hurt!

turkeytromp

The Faulk C-50 is by far the best sounding long with or next to the gibsons with excellent volume and crisp realistic sounds!

neal

Hooks!!!! They sound awesome!!
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.