OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

SSX patterns, PLEASE HELP!

Started by Squiibs, April 12, 2015, 11:02:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squiibs

Let me start off by pointing out that I have nooo pictures of what was my nightmare patterning session yesterday. I was soo frustrated while leaving the range I left all 10 of my targets that had my patterns on them at my shooting bench. Bone head move. Either way, I am sure everyone will be familiar with what I will be talking about here.....I am using a Rem 870 express with 21 inch barrel and the SSX choke. First, I tried the Federal HW#7 with flitecontrol, they were the worst. I had the same situation as everyone else where everything is getting thrown to the left side of the target. At 40 yards there was barley any holes in my circle. I then tried the Hevi Shot HW#7 without flitecontrol and that was bit better, but still no cigar. Everything was still getting pushed to the left side of the target just not as severe. It seems obvious to me I need to change out my choke, but I have no idea what to switch to and I only have a week to get it done. Suggestions anyone??
Gooble Gobble

10gaugemag

I see a lot of guys running the Tightwad in the 20's. Does it shoot to POA with regular full or is it to the left as well? Did you draw circles before shooting??

Squiibs

I did draw circles before I shot and no I did not try shooting with any other choke because I only brought the SSX with me to the range. Not the best decision making.  :TrainWreck1:
Gooble Gobble

10gaugemag

Sounds like POI?POA are different to me. I don't think the FC wad does the best in wad stripping tubes like the SSX although there are exceptions to every rule.

SCDieselDawg

Sounds like poa/poi is off.  Might want to add some adjustable sights to correct the issue.

gophert

Here are a few suggestions.

First get you a large piece of paper to shoot at. Start at 20 yards with low brass bird shot and determine where your POI is in relation to POA.  I would use the SSX in this first exercise.  If it is way off, then try the standard choke (modified will be fine at that distance).  If the gun is not shooting true to POA, you will need to get you some aftermarket sights.  May I suggest Truglo Gobble Dot Pro Series.  The run about $25 and I have a set on an 870 20 and they work great.

Once you have POA=POI, it is now time to pattern.  Again, use a large piece of paper.  You can get rolls of paper at any office supply store or maybe even lowes/home depot.  Run a bore snake through the barrel 3Xs.  You will need to do this after each shot so you are consistent with each pattern.  Under NO circumstance are you to use any type of solvents to clean your barrel during the pattern session.  Now you can determine what is best for your gun.  Remember that each choke may shoot a slightly different POI.  Once you have decided on which load/choke combo you will use.  Come back to 20 yards and check POI to POA with that choke again.  (Some like to shoot their hunting shell here just to be sure)  I personally don't feel it's necessary.  Hope this helps. 

Rule 1:  Draw your 10" circle AFTER you have shot, around the most dense section of the pattern.  Count holes and enjoy. 

That SSX should shoot great in that gun. I would not give up on it.  All my 870's like to be choked tight. 

darron

The SSX from my experience varies from gun to gun. I have an 870 20ga with 28" that loves the ssx and feds. It will do 180-200 all day. However, I have a 11-87 20ga with 26" and with the ssx I could not hit 100. With the 1187 I went from the ssx to a carlson and I improved my numbers.

I would say at this point try it again. If not satisfied pick up a calrson .575 or sumtoy 562-5.

Dr Juice

Quote from: gophert on April 13, 2015, 07:47:59 AM

First get you a large piece of paper to shoot at. Start at 20 yards with low brass bird shot and determine where your POI is in relation to POA.  I would use the SSX in this first exercise.  If it is way off, then try the standard choke (modified will be fine at that distance).  If the gun is not shooting true to POA, you will need to get you some aftermarket sights.  May I suggest Truglo Gobble Dot Pro Series.  The run about $25 and I have a set on an 870 20 and they work great.

Once you have POA=POI, it is now time to pattern.  Again, use a large piece of paper.  You can get rolls of paper at any office supply store or maybe even lowes/home depot.  Run a bore snake through the barrel 3Xs.  You will need to do this after each shot so you are consistent with each pattern.  Under NO circumstance are you to use any type of solvents to clean your barrel during the pattern session.  Now you can determine what is best for your gun.  Remember that each choke may shoot a slightly different POI.  Once you have decided on which load/choke combo you will use.  Come back to 20 yards and check POI to POA with that choke again.  (Some like to shoot their hunting shell here just to be sure)  I personally don't feel it's necessary.  Hope this helps. 

Rule 1:  Draw your 10" circle AFTER you have shot, around the most dense section of the pattern.  Count holes and enjoy. 

That SSX should shoot great in that gun. I would not give up on it.  All my 870's like to be choked tight.
I concur. In addition, Flite Control is a No-Go through the SSX. I use the SSX on my Win SX2 and it's a great tube. I shoot Hevi-Shot and various Winchester lead shells with very good results. Good luck and get back to the range turkey slayer!  :z-guntootsmiley:

Squiibs

Thanks guys I really appreciate the help. I'm going to try and figure stuff out tomorrow after work then get back to the range on Wednesday. Hopefully by then I will be at least on my way or close to solving my issues. I will keep you posted.
Gooble Gobble

Dtrkyman

I just borrowed my uncles old 20 ga o/u to kill a turkey or 2 with, shot both barrels full/mod at 10 yards to check poa with a target load, dead on with a really nice pattern!

Shot 30 yards with 3 different turkey loads and all shot well left, the federal hw 7 shot best out of the fixed full, but I had to aim 6 inches left to kill 2 birds last week!

VAarrowslinger

Quote from: mlisandro on April 13, 2015, 08:32:51 AM
Quote from: gophert on April 13, 2015, 07:47:59 AM

I concur. In addition, Flite Control is a No-Go through the SSX. I use the SSX on my Win SX2 and it's a great tube. I shoot Hevi-Shot and various Winchester lead shells with very good results. Good luck and get back to the range turkey slayer!  :z-guntootsmiley:

The SSX is one of the most used chokes on this forum for the FC wad. Clark Bush recommends this choke as the porting on this choke is set back from the parallel section and doesnt interfere with the FC wad. I use this choke to shoot fed HW out of my 12ga mossbergs as well as my 20 gauge youth 870. You should see 140 +/- patterns with this choke and an 870 youth