OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

2015 Weatherby SA-459 Review/Patterns

Started by gophert, April 12, 2015, 08:48:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

g8rvet

Quote from: gophert on April 05, 2016, 08:24:21 AM
I've hunted with a lot of guns but I can't get over how easy this Sa459 is to hunt with.  It is by far the lightest and most maneuverable turkey gun I've ever hunted with. 

What is your favorite aspect of hunting with this gun?

Sent from my typewriter
I can hold it up forever - balanced on a knee and the light weight and the pistol grip.  Just so easy to point and hold.   
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

deadbuck

May as well put my two cents worth in. Took my first SA459 bird last week also.

g8rvet

Nice!  Sounds like the SA 459 is a killer!

Any of y'all using anything other than HW#7? 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

deadbuck

I am shooting TSS 9 and TSS 8 1/2 through a .570 Tight wad choke

gophert

Yep...same here...TSS 9's and the Carlsons Ext 575....smoking combo

Sent from my typewriter

codym

gophert

It still works!

Sent from my typewriter

Horrendo Revolver

I picked up my SA-459 Turkey Friday.  I plan on using the Federal Heavyweight #7.  If the supplied choke doesn't pattern well, and I haven't had much luck with factory Inv or Inv+ chokes, which choke would you try first, Trulock, Carlson's or Sumtoy?
Assistant Secretary - U.S. Dry Bean Council

gophert

Just go with the Carlsons Ext .575....cheap and shoots everything well in this gun

Sent from my typewriter

FL-Boss

DrDirtNap

Does the 459 semi have any problems cycling the the Big 20XL roll crimp loads?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gophert

Quote from: DrDirtNap on May 01, 2016, 06:24:01 PM
Does the 459 semi have any problems cycling the the Big 20XL roll crimp loads?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not on the two birds I've dusted with it this year.  I trim all my Big20XL's however, that way you never have any problems.

Horrendo Revolver

Quote from: gophert on May 01, 2016, 05:05:48 PM
Just go with the Carlsons Ext .575....cheap and shoots everything well in this gun

Sent from my typewriter

Then that is what I'll do.

Horrendo Revolver

Sent from my typewriter

Then that is what I'll do.  Does it matter whether I get flush or extended?  I always buy extended for my dove and duck guns but this shotgun will always have the same choke in it, so I thought I might try flush and save some money.  If the ported choke patterns better in most people's opinions I'll get one.

gophert

Quote from: Horrendo Revolver on May 01, 2016, 09:46:31 PM

Sent from my typewriter

Then that is what I'll do.  Does it matter whether I get flush or extended?  I always buy extended for my dove and duck guns but this shotgun will always have the same choke in it, so I thought I might try flush and save some money.  If the ported choke patterns better in most people's opinions I'll get one.

I would get the extended just because that's the only one I've shot.  I did have a flush Carlsons 575 in a 870 but it was not tight enough for my liking.  Hard to tell until you actually shoot it but I know the carlsons extended shoots well.