OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Missouri

Started by 10gaugemag, April 12, 2015, 08:10:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

10gaugemag

I got out yesterday morning for a while and heard a good amount of gobbling on the roost, had actually slipped within 75-100 yards of a bird in the dark, good feeling. Birds did get quiet for about 10-15 minutes after fly down then started back up a dab. I was figuring to hear a few shots from youth hunters since this was the weekend for their hunt but only heard 2 shots about an hour after daylight and don't even know if they were a hunter or just someone shooting.

Mowoodsman

I've heard quite a bit of gobbling as well.  I took my son on Saturday for youth but we couldn't get the Tom to close the gap.  Oh well, he can still go during regular season with me! :)
Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

turkey harvester

The gobbling is definiatly getting better. Had Turkeys gobbling at 2pm saturday, and they gobbled good on the roost. Here in the south they are gobbling good in tree, going quiet for an hour but firing back up on their own. Also seeing alot of hens by themselves. Guess they lookin to go nest. Should be good
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Mowoodsman

Sounds good.  I'm taking vacation the 22nd-24th to hit the turkey woods. Hoefully I'll be able to get a decent Tom. 

monsterman

what does the canopy look like has greenup started?headed to some private land in south central mo the 24th?thanks

10gaugemag

We are more green here in West Central than it was down around Lake of the Ozarks over the weekend. With the moisture we have had a warm up will really make things green up.

Thundermtn

By the time season gets here you'll be wanting your obsession instead of a bottomland pattern. Green up is coming on strong and fast with warm temps and plenty of rain.

Birds here are pretty quiet but starting to come on OK with gobbling.

Mowoodsman

It's really greened up here in west-central Missouri.  We're expecting rain all this weekend too.  I imagine that everything is going to be about 60% grown out around here judging by most of the trees.  The oaks are just starting as well as the ash trees.  Better for me, gives me more cover!

monsterman

How are the birds acting up there?henned up?headed that way tomorrow night

jakesdad

Where I am in NE Missouri birds are gobbling very well roost and on the ground but are henned up.Hens dont act real interested in being around the toms so hopefully they'll be breaking off soon looking for new love.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

stinkpickle

Quote from: jakesdad on April 22, 2015, 04:47:39 PM
Where I am in NE Missouri birds are gobbling very well roost and on the ground but are henned up.Hens dont act real interested in being around the toms so hopefully they'll be breaking off soon looking for new love.

Same here in the NW corner, but the gobbling really tapers off after flydown.  They're still glued to the hens.  I don't what happens later in the morning...the high winds have them hiding somewhere.

Thundermtn

Got some to break yesterday.  Hens left them by 8:15. Next week should heat up pretty well after the rain moves out.