North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Feather Soup

Started by Hayudog, April 01, 2015, 05:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hayudog

Just to start this out right..... :TrainWreck1:
Had one all the way this morning.
I use a Magnus Bullhead for turkeys. It's either great or really bad.
I've got a video of the last twenty seconds, but can only video with my phone of the camera screen.
Photos from the video first.

Grainy shot of his legs, holy smokes

The yellow blur is where the Bullhead hit.  Too low by 3". And left by an inch
And the video I'll post shortly.

http://vid622.photobucket.com/albums/tt310/hayudog/Mobile%20Uploads/trim.369549E8-6791-4D01-9264-57DD635E0B46_zpsjudeft6s.mp4

By the timer on the camera,  I had been at full draw about 45 seconds.  Which isn't bad considering I drop my draw weight to about 55 pounds for turkeys.  Thought my pin was on the red of the waddle.  Should have tried to get him out of strut.  My seat was a little low for the blind, and I had to sit real straight up to clear the blind.  Short of it, I gave a high scoring bird a hall pass.  I want a Mulligan!

Twowithone

Man that was fast what kinda bow you shooting. That was great footage of the hunt and youll get the next gobbler for sure. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Deputy 14

That sucks. Stay after them, I want to see a head lopped off.

Hayudog

I shoot an old Mathews Solo cam. Drenalin .  It's backed off to about 50 -55 pounds I think. Hold back times at full draw on turkeys seems like forever.  It's back up to 70# for big game.  They have to be just right or the arrow misses the good stuff.  Body shots are like shooting an orange inside a basketball. At least he got away unhurt. My favorite body shot is at full strut, facing away.  Shoot the dot where the fan comes together. Puts the arrow center back. 
I'm about 50% with these head loppers.  Though, I've never lost a bird that was mortally hit with one. Cut a waddle once, and bled like crazy.  Watched as he ran away I could see the blood  flowing off him.   Never recovered him. Let him sit in a bush he ran into for 4 hours.  When I went to pick him up he flew away. 
I can't say the same about regular broadheads.  I've lost a couple solid hits.
This would have been 3 long beards in 4 hunts if I would have had my 20 ga. 

RutnNStrutn

Dang, that stinks bro! At least you had a great opportunity. Keep at him!

Sent from deep in the turkey woods on my Droid RazrMax HD.