turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Rehunting a bird

Started by Brantley, March 31, 2015, 08:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brantley

Wanted some input from you guys on rehunting a bird. I was driving around and saw a bird in full strutt with several hens. I decided to hunt it two days later. I set up early and called him in however he came in from behind me and stood there clucking for a few minutes. He had a hen with him because I heard her quietly yelping also. They must've sensed something because they never would commit to come in to the decoys. Or they may have seen me. Either way, I set up wrong and want to try him again. How long would you wait and would you use completely different calls than what you used the last time.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep... just like my grandfather. Not screaming, like the people in his car.

forcercon1

I have had luck setting up in the same place / using the same calls the next day when they were not spooked too bad. I have also set up in another area close, changed calls and rhythm of my calling and had the birds come back.

I wish you luck!!

Southernbuck01

I was working a bird one day and had a person walk up on me and shut the bird up.  I couldn't get back until a week later and worked him again with the same calls in the same area.  I think you should be good since he didn't get bad spooked and it could've been the hen leading him off more than anything. 
I might would try without the decoys next time if that's an option for you.

zelmo1

Short memories if they are not rattled too much. Get back on him

Brantley

Thanks gentlemen, I'm gonna get after him Friday.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep... just like my grandfather. Not screaming, like the people in his car.