OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

First Low country SC hunt

Started by WNCTracker, March 27, 2015, 09:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNCTracker

Are there any different strategies or differences for hunting coastal low country SC birds compared to NC mountain birds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red Huck

Yes! Lot of wet areas there, gators ,snakes. What's the terrain like where you will be hunting?

WNCTracker

Exactly as you described but with multiple 300-500 acre fields. Dense forest with roads cut in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cut N Run

I primarily hunt the NC Piedmont and some towards the coast, where it gets flatter than around home. I'd look around for areas the gobblers are comfortable strutting in and try to set up near there.  Sometimes a small opening, pocket, or corner of a field will be all he needs.  If there is any piece of ground slightly higher than the surrounding land, it is worth checking out.  Gobblers like to be able to see and be seen in Spring, but they also like to have heavy cover nearby to escape if they need to.  A great spot can often be something as simple as a wide spot in a road where two paths run together, a logging deck, or a connector road between fields. I've seen lots of gobbler tracks in roads near dense woods and I've killed plenty of birds that followed that road to get closer to my position.

Early on in the season he'll be following hens and could be anywhere.  Once those hens go to nesting, he'll probably have sort of a routine and go between favored strut zones looking for hens. This is my favorite time of season to hunt.  A lonesome gobbler is easier to call when he's cruising around during mid-morning.

Good luck, have fun, & be safe.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Red Huck

To add to Cut n Runs post. High spots in wet areas. Find where they enter and exit fields. Perhaps they may use the cut in roads some. Just some ideas.