Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

2.75" Fed HWT 7 vs. 3" Reduced Recoil MagBlends

Started by KyTurkeyHunter473, March 23, 2015, 10:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyTurkeyHunter473

I have a Mossberg 510 Mini I bought for my son.  I put an Indian Creek in it and it patterns well with Hevi 13 6s and 7s, however, I am looking for something with a little less recoil for him.  I am debating between the 2.75" Fed HWT 7s and the Hevi 13 Reduced Recoil Magblends.  I really want to keep the Indian Creek in the gun but have heard mixed reviews about shooting the Feds through it.  Does anyone have any experience with these two rounds, as far as patterning and recoil goes?  Youth season here in Kentucky opens in a little over two weeks so I'm looking to get him set up fairly quickly. 

philipriley16

I don't know where you live in ky but I seen the reduced recoil rounds at cabelas and for your choke I would shoot them. My wife shoots the feds through her 870 but we have a undertaker choke in it and it shoots awsome. If the little 870 wasn't pink I'd carry it

nickp

I haven't tried the reduced recoil MB but my dad is shooting his old light Stevens single barrel with the 2 3/4" Federal and it is nothing to shoot.  Plus it patterns great out of his fixed full barrel.  He had shoulder surgery and has to shoot it.  Smokes them out to 40+.

chatterbox

:whip2:
Quote from: KyTurkeyHunter473 on March 23, 2015, 10:38:59 PM
I have a Mossberg 510 Mini I bought for my son.  I put an Indian Creek in it and it patterns well with Hevi 13 6s and 7s, however, I am looking for something with a little less recoil for him.  I am debating between the 2.75" Fed HWT 7s and the Hevi 13 Reduced Recoil Magblends.  I really want to keep the Indian Creek in the gun but have heard mixed reviews about shooting the Feds through it.  Does anyone have any experience with these two rounds, as far as patterning and recoil goes?  Youth season here in Kentucky opens in a little over two weeks so I'm looking to get him set up fairly quickly.
Problem is, if that Indian Creek splits with the Fed, IC won't warrantee it, and there is the risk of personal injury with it as well.

KyTurkeyHunter473

Made a trip to cabelas today and picked up a box of reduced recoil mag blends. I honestly can't tell any difference between them and the regular loads. They didn't pattern very well out of my set up. I think I will stick with Hevi straight 7s, they patterned extremely well and have less recoil. I still may invest in another choke, just to open it up some to give my son some wiggle room