turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Which would you choose?

Started by Birdyblaster, March 19, 2015, 08:05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Birdyblaster

I shot a few different combos today and came up with these 2 patterns.  Temp was 51 degrees with about a 10 mph quartering to wind.  Shots were taken from a lasered 40 yards from an 870 SPS 23".  The first is Federal HW #7 through a Trulock Federal #7 HW choke.  The second is a Hevi Shot #7 through an IC .665.  The Hevi 7 is clearly the denser pattern but I fully expected that due to the much greater number of pellets in the load.  It put up 230 in the 10" and was pretty even.  The Federal HW shot a little blotchier pattern but with decent density with 175 in the 10".  I need to do more shooting in better conditions to see how consistent they both are but looking at things now, which would you shoot?  The Hevi 7's seem to throw a better pattern but those Fed HW's didn't do bad by any means and will hit like a train.  I know both will easily take any bird at any ethical range but which would you choose and why? 

g8rvet

Personally, based on ballistics, I would shoot the Fed HW#7.  173 in the 10 is just fine.  Looks like the POI may be a little lower than the circle.  Either one, centered on the birds neck are killers. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

VAarrowslinger

I've killed birds with both the hevis and the Feds....in my experience the federal heavyweight is clearly the better shell and 170 in 10" is more than adequate at much longer range than the hevis

gatrkyhntr70

Quote from: VAarrowslinger on March 19, 2015, 08:52:35 PM
I've killed birds with both the hevis and the Feds....in my experience the federal heavyweight is clearly the better shell and 170 in 10" is more than adequate at much longer range than the hevis
X2 ->
<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

taylorjones20

That Hevi 7 is a sweet looking, even pattern.... Never shot the Federals but Hevi 7 is a killer...
Alive only by the Grace Of God

Strick9

With the HW 7s your getting 15gm density and 1300 fps

With the Hevi 13 7s your getting 13 gm density at 1090 fps I believe.

Id go with the HW 7s as both patterns look great.
LowCountryWildlifeManagement
Knowing Wildlife beyond Science
Genesis 9;2

Birdyblaster

Thanks guys.  Looks like Feds are the consensus thus far and that's the way I was leaning due to reasons already stated.  Just wanted some reassurance that was the right call.  I haven't really had a bad pattern with that gun yet but I just want to get the best killing choke shell combo I can find.  From what I've read, the Fed flight control shells can be pretty tough to get a decent pattern out of so I'm pretty happy with 175 in 10" and hope to get a little better with better weather.  I also think shooting a little bigger paper and tweaking my zero will improve things some too.

petemoss83

I think either combo will do fine. That Hevi #7 sure is a pretty pattern! But the Fed is faster and heavier and 175 in ten at 40 yds ain't bad. Those feds are going to hit significantly harder if say you misjudged your distance by 8-10 yards which can definitely happen. Having that piece of mind alone would be enough for me to give the Federals the nod considering your pattern numbers.

mudhen

Probably the Fed, I've had a couple of soft'ish hits with H-13 7's....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka