Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Damage control

Started by Hayudog, March 17, 2015, 02:55:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hayudog

Well, it looks like I've lost access to a special piece of property. It's about 100 acres.  Horse ranch. I've had access about 7 years. Others have also. Some dip stick shot near the barns at turkeys last year. Spooked the horses while one of the gals was training. Blanket policy now....NO HUNTING.  I'll go back to talk with the owner, try to angle an archery only deal. My guess, he'll limit the liability and exposure. It's over. 
And the bad part... I don't blame him. Wish I could find the idiot that shot. Tough part I'll bet he wouldn't see the problem. Slob. 
Another case of slobs making a black mark on decent hunters. I blame the guy that allowed a buddy to come along, and the friend of a friend.   
They don't have one of those faces with steam coming out of his ears. 

Deputy 14

Damn that sucks. Hopefully the owner will allow you to bowhunt.

Twowithone

Happens every where and it is disheartening to have ground taken away because of a dolt nimrod but it happens. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

RutnNStrutn

Sorry to hear that Doug. That really stinks, especially when you didn't do anything wrong. Good luck with the bow deal.

Hayudog

Scouted this morning on the property I can use a shotgun. Not a bird. Not a gobble.  Closest I could find was 1/2 mile off the property, and walking the other way.
So, had to pull a rabbit out of my hat.  Went to then property that everone got kicked off of.  Contacted the owner and made end roads to get the ok to hunt.  Archery only.  I'll take it.  9 hours til it opens. 
Hope tomorrow ends with photos.

RutnNStrutn

Bow hunt is MUCH better than NO hunt!!! :icon_thumright:
Give 'em hell Doug!!! It will be rewarding WHEN you get a gobbler!!! Good luck bro!! :anim_25:

Twowithone

You get a Gobbler with a bow that's a special harvest for sure. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Hayudog

Well, Saturday morning came and went.  Since the archery only property is the only one with birds, that was the plan. Sitting in the blind at shoot time .... No birds roosted on the property. Which means they come there after, because I've seen a number of toms by the horse barns.
An hour after shoot time, two shot gun blasts from the barn area. A bit over a quarter mile from where I am.  I'm damn near running down the hill I'm so mad.
Some one had come thru the locked gate , ( a combination electric gate) shot in the stable area , had killed at least one bird, thossed the bird in the vehicle.  And split.  There was a shot gun wad 15' from the barn.  The stable guy said the horses were freaked out.  But he never saw the guy.  My guess, it's the idiot that shot while one of ladies was trading her horse in the round coral last year.  The one that got everyone kicked off.
So, after talking with another hunter....sitting in a blind, thirty yards from the barns.  His daughter is with him.  She's got a shotgun, he has a bow.  Basically told him that everone had been kicked off the ranch.  He said two guys had come in a truck, shot and hooted it up.  Grabbed a bird and jetted.
Too many folks had access to this property.  I asked him if had had touched bases this year to confirm he still had permission to hunt.....  Guess what he said. Hmmm.  Nope.   I reminded him this is a horse owners property. Have a little respect, really??? A shotgun thirty yards from horses???
I've waited a few days to write this, I'm not riding the ceiling fan, quite as much.
Ok.... Back up the hill to calm my nerves... And kill something. 
About an hour later, an uninitiated gobble.  Had a long beard walk come to 35 yards, stand erect, check out the jake standing over a hen decoy.  Turn around and walk away.  Cutting brought him back up.  He skirted the side of us.  Stood ten yards behind the blind, strut. About ten minutes, then just walk away.  Wimp of a long beard.  Wouldn't even come out to push off a jake.  That was my opener.
Hunted the gun property for a zero, hearing or seeing. 
Back to the bow property Tuesday.

RutnNStrutn

Man, I would be steaming!!! >:(
Maybe you should get with the landowner, call game and fish, and try to bust those a-holes!! Might earn you some favors with the landowner. Unbelievable bro!! Well good luck with the rest of the season. Sorry it started so poorly.