Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

gobbling a little in Southeastern NC

Started by SouthEastNC, March 23, 2011, 04:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SouthEastNC

Season here is still 2 and a half weeks out. Decided that after several days of warm weather, I'd ride out to one of the timber tracts I hunt in Southeastern Bladen county this morning and see what the birds are up to.

About 40 minutes before sunrise, heard the first couple of owl hoots. 10 minutes later, more owls as well as crows started making noise and that's when a little bit of gobbling started. There was a bird that sounded a couple hundred yards to my left and another about the same to my right. Around every 5-10 minutes there'd be a hoot or caw close enough to them and they'd sound. They stopped right about sunrise.

Only heard 1 hen for about a second, and didn't see any strut sign along fresh gobbler tracks I found at several spots. The gobbles didn't sound like "hot" birds, reminded me more of when they'll gobble a little at first light on warm mornings during the beginning of deer season.

With the weather about to cool back down for a week, hopefully they'll be getting ready to rumble right about time the season opens.
Go Heels, Go America

RBC

That sounds good. How 'boout riding over to Columbus Co. this weekend and listen for me. ;D I won't be able to listen until next Friday for youth day.

bbcoach

Thanks for the updates.  Went to Jones County last Saturday and we had 4 or 5 Gobblers sounding off a first light.  We had numerous hens talking on the roost and then fly down in an adjecent field.  We saw a really nice Gobbler struting in the field for about 10 minutes and then went back into the woods.  Wonderful morning!!!  Looks like this will be our spot for Youth Day.  Hope to get a friends daughter, her first bird, and try to get it on film.

Heading out again in the morning to our club property to check out our old reliable spots.  Will update then.

Good luck to ALL!!!!

ncturkey

bbcoach

A friend of mine and I split up on our Club property Saturday morning.  We both heard and saw several birds.  I had one gobbling, on the roost and after flydown, for approximately an hour.  Weather was a little cool and overcast, so it may have turned them off a little.  My friend heard several gobbling and had two gobblers in a field after flydown.  The Boss ran the younger bird off and started gathering his Harem of four Ladies and started Displaying.  Watched them for approximately an hour and then moved on.  We went to another area and watched a hen for awhile from about 500 yards away then it was off to make sure our guns were ready by firing a few rounds.  Can hardly wait to get my friends daughter out there Saturday.  Good Luck To All.

BowBendr

The birds were gobblin' real good in the NC mountains the past couple days too.
But dang if it didn't snow today....again....c'mon springtime......