Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Advice???

Started by Thebody, March 16, 2015, 08:59:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thebody

The property I hunt in Maryland is about 300 acres with a mix of fields and hardwoods.  I have had some success there over the last two years and the birds seem to roost consistently in three areas.  I went down yesterday to put out some trail cams and check things out and found out about 100 acres that butts up to the property I hunt was clearcut.  The spot that was cut is about 100 acres and was one of the roosting spots.  I would consistently hear 2 or 3 birds hammering over there and was able to call one over last year on a late morning hunt.  The next property over from the cut is all tall pines and I'm hoping they come on over to my property, but there is no way of telling.  I saw very little sign and I suspect the logging trucks changed things up a little.  The cut is done and the trucks aren't coming in and out anymore, but I'm a little concerned this could affect the season.  I'm not much for change, but I hate to panic over nothing....I've never had a situation like this before.  The sign was hard to see yesterday since there has been a ton of rain lately.   

Anybody have any experience with a similar situation?  I guess I'll find out opening day if all the logging pushed the birds out.  Either way, I'll be in the woods.     
Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth.  Mike Tyson

Well He shoulda armed himself if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend.  Will Munny

Hayudog

First things first. Send some of that rain to California.

I think you will need to be onsite to actually see or hear where the birds have moved to.  Hope they were pressured into a better location for your hunting options. 

Get a louder call.

Good luck and post up your findings as you go. Police and fire folks are always full of advice.

Twowithone

The turks will use the pines in the winter when the temp drops its a natural barrier from the wind. Go over there in the early mornings and see if their still gobblin over there. They shouldn't be in the clearcut area. So your down too 2 spots if they haven't been pushed. Go sit in the woods 1 morning at daybreak and the turks will let you know where their at. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

RutnNStrutn

In the area I hunt in SC, logging is a fact of life. The birds are used to it and move back in once the loggers clear out. They use the cutovers for eating fresh plants coming g up as well as bugging. So other than the loss of a roosting spo5, you should be fine. Good luck!!

Deputy 14

Fresh logging is great for turkeys. Makes the food easier to find.

TrackeySauresRex

They'll be back. If there not back already. In the pines  :OGani:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Thebody

The birds were definitely affected on that side of the property, but they made their way through the cut to where I was.  I have seen more Jakes this year and I think they found a new home range. 

Well He shoulda armed himself if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend.  Will Munny

RutnNStrutn

You still got a heck of a bird though!! :icon_thumright:

Thebody

I'm not complaining, it made things a little difficult as far as moving on that section.  It changed the roosting areas, but it made it easier to locate the birds.