News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Locator call advice and quality of calls

Started by Timmer, March 23, 2011, 02:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timmer

Hey guys,

I hunt easterns in MN and WI and have never had any real success with locator calls.  We've got plenty of turkeys around and they certainly gobble here and there but I can't say I can tie those gobbles to specific natural sounds like crows (they are endless).  Over the years I've frequently tried owls before sunrise and woodpecker and crow calls during the day and haven't had a single response.  Last year we had a very early spring with heavy field growth by the time turkey season rolled around.  Over the course of five days I managed to scare off three different groups of turkeys that were hidden in the tall hay using a peacock call.   Now I've got a dilemma, at least in my feeble mind, that the natural sounding calls don't work and the peacock call was too foreign and scared the bejeebers out of them.  

Any thoughts in general about my lack of success?  One thing i will admit is that I don't think I spent more than $10 on my crow or woodpecker call.  Is there any merit to spending $25 on a better brand?
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

Gopherlongbeards

I often wonder about locator calls as well.  I have rarely used one.  I have used a goose call successfully before.  Otherwise i just yelp or cutt  ???

870BkWht

Get yourself a Harrison Hoot'nStick from Hooks custom calls.  You will not be disappointed.

shootumindaface

I have probably 80 percent success with a crow call at midday.. 8o percent meaning that only 20 percent does a turkey call illicit a gobble to unsuccsessful crow calling..

It is about volume and pitch.. A crow call has to be extremely loud and a lil higher pitch than a real crow.. I blow my gutz out into the crow call for volume.  I have done it to gobblers many times in 100 yards at full volume with no ill reaction and killing the bird..

I cannot count the number of times I have had crows sound off above me with no reaction, pull out the Harrison Crow and receive a gobble..

GobbleNut

I agree with Shootum about the need to find the right call and sound for locating.  Loudness is a key ingredient. 

Having said that, locators don't work equally well in all places.  The right locator used at the right time and the right place will definitely make a difference though.

shootumindaface

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 23, 2011, 10:05:06 PM
I agree with Shootum about the need to find the right call and sound for locating.  Loudness is a key ingredient. 

We agree  :help: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

guesswho

Quote from: shootumindaface on March 23, 2011, 10:09:12 PM

Wow, must be some Cosmic forces at work that we just don't understand.

I would agree with both Shootum and Gobblenut, but I just can't do it.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

GobbleNut

Quote from: guesswho on March 23, 2011, 10:24:33 PM

Geez,...what's the world coming to?!  I think it must have something to do with call shy birds and the NWTF!  ...or maybe we're all just in a good mood 'cause huntin' season has started!  We'll make up for it later when the seasons end and we all get cranky again!!   
                         ;D   :TooFunny:   :newmascot:   :TooFunny:   ;D 

shootumindaface

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 24, 2011, 09:35:24 AM
Quote from: guesswho on March 23, 2011, 10:24:33 PM

Geez,...what's the world coming to?!  I think it must have something to do with call shy birds and the NWTF!  ...or maybe we're all just in a good mood 'cause huntin' season has started!  We'll make up for it later when the seasons end and we all get cranky again!!   
                         ;D   :TooFunny:   :newmascot:   :TooFunny:   ;D 
Well we all cant agree, I will get us started off.

Do turkeys become Locator shy? :TooFunny: :groupwave:

GobbleNut

Errrrhhhh,....Yes,...No,....Maybe....
Hey, I'm finally goin' huntin' tomorrow!  I'm in too good a mood to care!

Jim
      :D       :fud:      :newmascot: