Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

BamaGtrDude - PUNTING on Team Noob

Started by bamagtrdude, March 13, 2015, 12:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bamagtrdude

Guys, since we are ill-prepared to participate in this year's turkey competition due to a lack of proper preparation, I'm punting on my participation, as well.  Our area here -- STILL -- doesn't have what it needs to score a bird, post to our team thread, etc.

Sorry guys, I was really looking forward to it, but ...  Y'all can have it.  Hope everybody has a great & productive season, and that you found some of my hints, tips & tricks helpful this year in harvesting a bird.

It's time for me to "practice what I preach" tomorrow morning; can't wait!

BGD
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

ScottS

Thanks for all your info, good hunting!

bamagtrdude

---

BowBendr

BGD -

As a team capt. for 5 years, I also can applaud your desire to get this going in the right direction.
No sense in imploding when we havent even got started good yet.
Everybody has to want to participate for it to work. Deer hunters that like to bird hunt a couple days each bird season doesnt cut it.
Dont get bogged down in calling and set-up tips. Focus on everybody knowing what the team expects, what the rules are and how to take and submit the proper pics.

If peoples heart isnt in it, cut 'em loose while there is time and Shannon can get you members from the individual registry.
Everybody get on the same page, somebody step up to the capt. position and do it. Being a capt. is easy when you act as a team. I never have to say a word to my guys, and if you go to our section and look the past few years, we hardly even talk at times, we just kill....
You got people that have been on your team since day 1 that are still flying another teams banner...not tolerated and shows lack of unity....
You guys are mostly all new at turkey hunting and we all want you to succeed. Its fun to do this contest and its even funner when youre in contention. You can do it as a team, dont give up, re-boot and start again.
Have fun and be safe !
Thanks for listening, we all here to help.
-Scott

Sent from Gobblers Knob, NC

bamagtrdude

BowBendr, thx for the rah-rah; I'm just going to divert my attention to helping the state of AL DNR division track the turkey population & post to their site after my hunts...  To me, that's more satisfying at this point than winning a competition where only bragging rights are the reward...

Honestly, I think everybody would be 100% gung-ho if there were prizes involved (not just Noobs)...  Even if it was just an OG Winner's T-shirt for all the team members or something...  Also, I think the way that reporting is done inherently assumes DISTRUST on the site here; just my personal $0.02; all the picture taking, measurements, etc. that has to be done to "prove" a bird is ridiculous...  I can understand posting 3 pics -- full body, weight, and beard & then if there's any question, contest and/or audit the winning team at the end of the competition would suffice...  Again, it's just bragging rights...

Just my  :z-twocents: on the matter.

BGD
---

BowBendr

I honestly dont know what to say........
Didnt know you felt that way about the contest....
Carry on.....

bamagtrdude

How would you know if you hadn't peeped in on what's going on over here on Team Noob?  ;)
---

davisd9

This contest is for fun and bring the small community of turkey hunters together. This competition and forum has brought me a few good friends (some I speak to daily) and some great contacts that we look out for one another.

This contest has no overall impact on my hunting season or the way I hunt but just a way to share my experiences with others that have the same interests and passions as I do.

I am glad there is not a prize and that is not what it is about. If it was then there would be cheating and other things that would drive it into the ground. The competitiveness of deer hunting has basically ruined the sport and I will do everything in my power to keep it from happening to turkey hunting. 

I am very fortunate to have a great team in which I do not have to do much with. It has taken time to put it together in which all members would do there part but when someone does not participate like they said they would I just do not ask them back and move on to the next person.

We also do not speak a lot, though we have a few threads going on, but like BowBendr said, we hunt and we enjoy each other's stories and company.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

bamagtrdude

Davisd9, that's cool, man!  I can see that, for sure...

I don't mean for my comments to inflame or offend anybody here...  My point is, I've just seen how other sites do their contests & it appears that (at least the one I'm looking at most frequently) there's an "honor system" involved -- ONE PIC of your bird (full body) & that's it, along with a text list of the measurements & the total score... 

If a contest truly was for fun & socializing, wouldn't you think that'd be good enough?  And again, I don't mean for my comments to be negative or anything, I just think the OG contest rules are a bit ...  overkill...  But, I'm sure they're in place for a reason, so ...

Good luck this year, guys!  I hope we ALL kill a bunch of birds!

BGD
---

Big Treble

So why do  "team Noob" member have banners from other teams?  Can they be on two different teams?

bamagtrdude

Quote from: Big Treble on March 17, 2015, 11:14:50 AM
So why do  "team Noob" member have banners from other teams?  Can they be on two different teams?

No; these guys aren't Team Noob members, bud.
---

Big Treble

Quote from: bamagtrdude on March 17, 2015, 11:16:02 AM
Quote from: Big Treble on March 17, 2015, 11:14:50 AM

No; these guys aren't Team Noob members, bud.

Got it

BowBendr

Quote from: bamagtrdude on March 17, 2015, 10:36:47 AM
How would you know if you hadn't peeped in on what's going on over here on Team Noob?  ;)

Fine boss, have it your way....excuse me whilst I goes and slaughter some birds for my team.....

kevin2

Hope I did not offend you with my old team banner Mark. Would have gave it the toss as soon as we put up a banner. Never entered my mind.

I stop in to our team board every day to see if there is any activity & to read the posts. Our season here is still over a month away, but I know that it is getting going elsewhere around the country. Hopefully we'll get some action going with some hunters soon.

Hope you have some fun tomorrow.

I was at the bow club today tuning my new bow for Turkey season. I'm busy like everyone else, so when I take an hour or 2 to go to the club, it has been fit into a tight schedule! Was really nice to see some of the guys again and to shoot the bow. I'll head to the gun club in the near future to make sure my Fastfire III is still sighted in from any bumps during predator season. I don't belong to this club anymore, as I can't take the noise anymore!

I plan to give the bow a try early on opening day. If I don't land a bird fast, then I'm going to quickly abandon it and head out on foot with the shotgun. Might even try to bring the xbow on a more traditional hunt too, we shall see.

Thanks for all the information Mark. You've really helped me.
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

GomerPyle

Quote from: BowBendr on March 17, 2015, 10:11:05 AM
I honestly dont know what to say........

Quote from: BowBendr on March 17, 2015, 07:44:12 PM
Fine boss, have it your way....excuse me whilst I goes and slaughter some birds for my team.....

The fact that you're getting as bent out of shape over this as you clearly are is a prime example of what he's talking about.  This isn't some "pay to play" contest, no money is on the line, no prizes are on the line.  It's just for fun and bragging rights, but you're getting your panties in a twist, and even PM'ing the guy to continue criticizing him even more, just because he's decided to back out since 90% of the people on his team, including the captain, have gone MIA.  Go have a drink or something and chill the fork out.

And he's absolutely right about the rules....Holy S**t

*full body pic of you holding bird
*full body pic of you with bird hanging on scale
*close up of scale to show weight, but hey you better make sure it's still far enough out that you can tell it's the same bird and there's nothing else weighting it down.
*pic of beard close enough to see marks on tape but still far enough away to see the entire bird with tap touching chest
*close up pic of spurs with tape perfectly placed JUST right

and then, as we all know from past experience, if you don't get everything absolutely perfect (and sometimes even if you do) there's a very good chance someone else will decide they don't like your pictures and contest it so then you have to defend your birds.

Fork that noise.

when I kill a bird (and actually, since most of us are "noobs" this will probably be applicable to most of us), it will be my first one ever.  I'll be really excited, calling everyone I know to brag.  I will take a lot of pictures but I'll be damned if I'm going to stop and bend over backwards to take all these pictures juuussstt right so a bunch of overzealous jacklegs won't contest it or accuse me of cheating.
[From a buddy re: turkey hunting]
"the best advice I can give you is to run from it like it's crystal meth"