Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

870 SM Indian Creek - Winchester, EM Hevi Shot, and Nitro Patterns

Started by Gobble!, April 06, 2014, 12:10:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobble!

Did some shooting today. Not the best day, temp of 42 with wind gusts of 20 mph but my Nitros came and I couldn't wait. Noticed a drop in the pattern with the EM Hevi Shot #7s. This lot typically shot in the 270 range, today only managed 233 so temp definitely affects your pattern.
I was shooting a 870 SM with a .665 Indian Creek. Patterns were at a lasered 40 yards and measured in a 10" circle.

Nitro 3.5" 2.25oz #7s - 283
EnvironMetal 3.5" 2.25oz #7s - 233
Winchester Double X 3.5" 2oz #6s - 118

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Newtgallapavo

what all did u have to do in order to get those patterns? I have that same gun choke shell combo in 23" barrel but 180 is the best I ever achieved. that's with a polished barrel and cleaned after each shot as well?

captin_hook

tomstopper

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Gobble!

Quote from: rainingmallards on November 10, 2014, 11:18:51 PM
did you try the Magnum Blends?

Shot one of them long ago and it shot 206, the straight 6s for me were like 196 if I remember correctly. Wanted bigger numbers so switched to the #7s

Quote from: Newtgallapavo on May 04, 2014, 10:36:51 PM
what all did u have to do in order to get those patterns? I have that same gun choke shell combo in 23" barrel but 180 is the best I ever achieved. that's with a polished barrel and cleaned after each shot as well?

I have done nothing more then keep the barrel clean.

Gobble!

Sorry for bumping an old thread I went back looking for these pattern pictures and noticed people asked questions.

albrubacker

The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I'd keep and use that choke in that gun.  The Nitros are impressive.

Gobble!

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on January 10, 2015, 01:01:32 PM
I'd keep and use that choke in that gun.  The Nitros are impressive.

Still want to see how it does in warmer weather. Messed around and didn't do any other shooting at paper.

Gobble!