turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Young Hunter Fed HW 2 3/4 #7 Load/Choke Combo

Started by gophert, March 08, 2015, 10:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gophert

I thought I would post some of these I did a few years ago when my daughter, at the age of 10, started shooting her own turkeys. The key to this load is to limit it to 30 Yards, which is probably as far as you would want a young hunter to try a shot at.  Hope this helps.

All were shot from an 870 Youth 21" barrel

Rem Super Full .570

SSX .550 at 40 Yards  (At 30 Yards this combo was in the 150's)

Hevi 13 3" #7's (This load has less recoil than the Fed HW)

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Eview326

Thanks for the info. I'm gonna be setting that load up myself this year in a 21" bbl 1100 LT-20

BandedSpur

Tim, thanks for sharing. Although the 3" HW 7s are the bees' knees in 20 ga, can't say that I am all that impressed with the 2.75" version. Since you say the 3" H13 7s have less recoil, I would definitely go with them vs the 2.75" HWs. That's a smoking pattern at 30. Looks like it would hold up fine at 40 as well.

gophert

Quote from: BandedSpur on March 09, 2015, 09:53:53 AM
Tim, thanks for sharing. Although the 3" HW 7s are the bees' knees in 20 ga, can't say that I am all that impressed with the 2.75" version. Since you say the 3" H13 7s have less recoil, I would definitely go with them vs the 2.75" HWs. That's a smoking pattern at 30. Looks like it would hold up fine at 40 as well.

You are right!  However that Hevi pattern is from a 3" shell.  It kicks more than the 2 3/4 but less than the 3" Fed HW, at least to me, (kinda in the middle).  I thought those Fed HW 3" pack a pretty good punch.  I agree I was hoping for a lot more from the 2 3/4 Fed HW, however I think it serves a purpose for those young hunters that want to shoot at ages 6-9 and want a little more than a bird load. 

Eric Gregg

Fed HW #7's in 3" kick like a mule in my 20.
I watched the fight control wad hit my target @ 30yds.
Bad little shell