North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Not very tight? Bennelli Supernova, Sumtoy 650, Hevi-shot Magnum Blend

Started by Timmer, March 11, 2015, 04:43:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timmer

Hi guys

After helping sight in a buddy's shotgun last year and seeing his very obvious tight pattern, and seeing some similar pictures out here, I decided my shotgun and choke combo could use some improvement.  Based on the number of recommendations on this site I purchased a Sumtoy for my Benelli Supernova.  Because I hunt public land that has wetland on it I have to use lead free shot, so I've settled on Hevi-Shot and so far have just used the Magnum Blend.  I called Sumtoy and after speaking to them went with the 650.  To be honest, I'm still wondering if my pattern is all that great.

Attached are pictures for 30 and 40 yards.  I think the 30 yards looks pretty good from a killing perspective, but it disperses quite a bit at 40 yards.  I was hoping my 30 yard would be a very obvious tighter circle and my 40 yard would look more like my 30 yard.  Maybe I'm expecting too much?
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

taylorjones20

I agree with you.  I would think your 40 needs to look like your current 30.  That 40 isn't very tight nor even...
Alive only by the Grace Of God

Swampchickin234

I would say it would work but you could get it much better.  Have you thought about trying straight 7s or 6s?  I would

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

msgobblergetter

Timmer

Quote from: Swampchickin234 on March 11, 2015, 05:33:04 PM
I would say it would work but you could get it much better.  Have you thought about trying straight 7s or 6s?  I would

I certainly could.  As I noted I need lead-free shot.  All I could find from Hevi-Shot when I went shopping was the blend.  At $30/box of 5 shells it's super expensive to purchase various shot sizes and test, but I guess I'd rather spend money than miss or wound a bird. 
Timmer

Timmer

Quote from: msgobblergetter on March 11, 2015, 05:37:34 PM
Is this 3" shell? What barrel length?

3" Shell, 2 oz shot blend of 5,6,7's.  Supernova with 24" barrel.  Choke protrudes another 1.5". 
Timmer

drum817

"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

msgobblergetter

Quote from: Timmer on March 11, 2015, 05:43:24 PM
Quote from: msgobblergetter on March 11, 2015, 05:37:34 PM
Is this 3" shell? What barrel length?

3" Shell, 2 oz shot blend of 5,6,7's.  Supernova with 24" barrel.  Choke protrudes another 1.5".

Magblends have always preferred a little more open choke in my gun than your .650... If you really want to shoot magblends, I'd contact sumtoy and see if they will swap you a .660.  I would think your setup would shoot straight hevi 7's really well however.

Timmer

I'm certainly not married to the blends.  I guess I'll have to search and find some 7's.  Thanks!
Timmer

laker

I also recommend going with a 3.5" shell.... the more pellets you can get, the better! (That's my opinion anyway)  :lol:

SumToy

Few things to try.  Clean the barrel with something to get all the oil and solvent out barrel.  Then try 31/2 in the gun.  Now one thing I have seen this year is the mag blend have been running low numbers.  The 7s have been better then last few years. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Old-Rat-in-the-Barn

My recipe for the Nova is a $18 Tightwad .655 choke with 3.5" Straight 7's, I could get around the 280 mark inside 10" at 40yds lasered... I would loved to tried the Sumtoy .650!!!!!

the Ward

Probably the ammo. I am running a .650 Sumtoy in a Vinci and with the 3" Magblends. I'm in the 200-220 range in the 10" at 40yrds.Thats with older lots of ammo. Saw a post recently where a guy found 2 different wads from the same box of blends from this year? Your targets look like they could have more of the larger size shot possibly?

WV Ridge Reaper

I did right around 210 with a Sumtoy 650 in my M2 21 inch barrel with 3 inch LB's 6s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk