Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Gun , choke tube , and shell ???

Started by Hoosier Daddy, March 05, 2015, 09:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoosier Daddy

Fellas i'm having a little issue with a Mossberg 535 pattering , it has a 22" barrel I've been using a Kicks 655 choke , with numerous different brands of shells #5 and #6 all 3'' , i'm not getting good results out of them at 40 where I need them due to some of my set ups , I have not tried the Winchester Long Beard XR yet..........whats your guys opinion on my matter ? what should i do ?  i need range period , if i cant get it i guess i'll go back to my 500 with a 26'' barrel but i really like the shorter barrel for running and gunning .

Thanks
Mark

Gumby

With that choke I would try hevi13 7s. If don't want to spend that much on shells, then try longbeard 6s

backwater

John shoots the 535 with good results. I'm sure he will have some advice once he logs on. 

tonybforua

I have a IC in my 835. Im pleased with it. Shooting longbeards I got 193 with the 5s and 137 with the 4s. Not high numbers but deadly at 40.

bornagain64

I have the same gun. I purchased an Truglo SSX from allaboutshooting on here. I think
That is the website, allaboutshooting.com, for around $50.
I shot both Hevi Shot #6 shot and the mag blend thru it. Shot both 3" and the MANly 3 1/2".
I had #s around 209 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yds. ( that was the 3 1/2" MANly shells)

The best thing you can do to improve your pattern is to polish your barrel. you can do a search on here
Or check youtube. It made a huge difference in my pattern.

Hoosier Daddy

Thanks fellas much appreciated !!! , gonna get to work on it this weekend

jordanz7935

Deep cleaning your shotgun barrel would probably improve your patterns.They say short-barreled shotguns can be finicky about chokes and loads. I'm not sold on polishing your barrel. I know it has helped a lot of guns pattern better. But theres reputable people who work on shotgun barrels for a living who advise against it. The thing with me is, once you polish your barrel, what if your results get worse? Then what do you do, un-polish it?