turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Illinois

Started by Tommythreetoes, March 16, 2015, 11:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommythreetoes

It had been a month and a half since I had seen the "regular" group.  I thought maybe winter had been too rough.  I saw them today, alive and well.  They would fan out occasionally, but no gobbling here in central illinois.  I had a report though that a trio of gobblers were vocal this morning in southern IL.  It's here.  Best time of year. :turkey:

Dtrkyman

Was up at my lease scouting last week, no gobbling and only saw a few birds in the area, the landowner has been seeing several flocks around though.  set out a few cameras as well.

youth season is easter weekend so hopefully the weather is decent!

ILHUNTER

I have heard a few gobbling good here in central Illinois, they are still grouped up though.  Can't wait till Easter weekend to take my son out to try to get him his first bird.

aaron.haverfield@gmail.co

I have had a few friends that said they have heard a few, but I haven't seen or heard one on our property over in West Central Illinois since last season. I swear the numbers are down in my area. I drive over a hour to school everyday south and haven't seen the number of birds as previous years.

hoyt

Heard 3 or 4 this morning where I hunt in Shawnee National Forest (Southern Gallatin Co.). 2 or 3 started up at 5:00 am and gobbled good off the roost, then nothing but one what I think was a shock gobble after fly down.

One gobbled one time off the roost and that was it.

hoyt

Heard two or three this morning in another area. They gobbled continuously while on the roost and one gobbled a few times after flying down until he hooked up.

Dtrkyman

Out for youth season, good roost gobbling and sporadic on the ground, tons of action and we got a jake!

aaron.haverfield@gmail.co

West Central Illinois - Haven't heard any yet, but have seen my first strutter today.

tanna114

A lot of gobbling on roost Saturday morning in Madison county. None Sunday morning on roost, but two toms chased a hen 600 or so yards across a field to me gobbling the whole way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dtrkyman

Hunted all 5 days of first season, hell of a week...tons of roost gobbling and some decent gobbling later in the day but sporadic...usually one vocal bird each day later in the morning and called in a hard goggling jake at 1pm yesterday.

Was fortunate enough to fill both my Jo Davies tags, one Tue and one today!

Dtrkyman

Youth opener today, wiiindy!  Heard 3 birds gobble a few times on roost and then nothing, called in 2 jakes at 11:30 and one came home with us!

outdoorsmen

I killed a gobbler just after fly down on opening day. Heard about six birds gobbling on roost. All went quiet after fly down. Day 2 and 3 were both quiet. Didn't hunt day 4. Will see how day 5 pans out tomorrow.

nsselle

My uncle texted me a pic of a double he killed in the Shawnee yesterday morning. I unfortunately have to wait to 3rd season, soon enough.

Dtrkyman

Another great first season, filled 2 tags, Wed. Thurs.  Great roost gobbling but tough after that, got on a few during late morning here and there but mostly quiet.  First bird I struck late in the day and killed him minutes after he gobbled, came in with 2 buddies and could have doubled but decided not to.
Second bird was an amazing roost hunt, heard him the evening before and got right in with him 3 other toms and several hens, the whole flock flew down within 40 yards of me!