Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

"Assembly line" mouth calls vs. locally made mouth calls.

Started by deerbasshunter3, March 02, 2015, 03:21:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

I purchased a Primos mouth call last year and have been working with it. I am doing pretty well with it, but thought that I would do better with a Legacy mouth call, as it was recommended to me. Well, I can hardly even make a sound with the Legacy calls (Wild Hunter and Lone Hen). Has anybody found that some of the "assembly line" calls actually sound and work better than "homemade" calls?

Rick Howard

I am pretty knew to this but, I think there are too many variables to make that assumption.  Likely you are trying two entirely different calls and your reasons for disliking one has little to do with who made it.  Just my  :z-twocents: 

Gooserbat

Now I'm a small time call builder and there are a lot of difference's and consistency is the one I hear from customers time and time again.  As far as one being easy to play vs the other that could be a number of variables, reed count, reed thickness, cut style or tension of the stretch all go into account of how much air it takes to play a call.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

deerbasshunter3

I think I just need to trim the edges so it will fit better. I was not intending to offend anybody. My apologies if I did.

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

jblackburn

Quote from: Gooserbat on March 02, 2015, 06:46:27 PM
Try trimming a little at a time.

X2

By a little, trim barely what the scissors will cut.  You can't put it back on once it's cut and a little trimming goes a long way, you'll feel the difference.

Likely it will just be the sides that need trimming, unless you feel like you are gagging, then the back of the tape should be trimmed
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

born2hunt

I have had numerous commercial calls that did well and I killed birds with them. But like mentioned over and over they can vary so much from one to another of the same call. The custom builders just tend to have way more consistency. Plus I just like the idea of calls being made by guys that can run them and use them for their own hunting. That is quality control at its finest.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

Bowguy

I have seen this user friendliness being tough on lots of guys. I've never used legacy. Try Hooks. Trust me on this one. Very easy calls to use

Houndstooth Game Calls

Legacy makes great mouth calls William does build his own mouth calls positive on that! Sounds like your having a fit issue due to tape maybe or frame. Most of Legacy's mouthcalls are made with proph bottom reeds it won't get any easier on blowing a call with proph as the reeds.. I build them with proph myself and know that proph calls are easier to run.. I would do as said earlier and trim the tape down just very little at a time..

Jbird22

I agree with Lyle that William builds a great call that's super easy to blow. I have the Lone Hen, Lost Legacy, and Prized Possession the small frames and they run with very little air pressure.

jblackburn

When I joined up with Sam (Gooserbat) I had to change the way I called . . . because I was overblowing calls from learning and only running big box store calls.  If I used a ton of air I could usually get a somewhat consistent sound.  When I started using Gooserbats I would get all sorts of squeaks and dead sounds, from all that air.

Bottom line, though, find something you can run and build confidence. Practice a lot, then start looking for calls that suite you.  I can run pretty much any call (maybe not well . . .  :turkey2:) but I have preferences after using diaphragm calls for nearly 20 years.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

alclark2

I'd rather buy one really nice handmade VS a 3 pack of junk calls. The quality control seems to be better. I can't get the sound I want from any of the big box store bought calls.
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

tha bugman

:happy0064:
Quote from: Gooserbat on March 02, 2015, 05:35:15 PM
Now I'm a small time call builder and there are a lot of difference's and consistency is the one I hear from customers time and time again.  As far as one being easy to play vs the other that could be a number of variables, reed count, reed thickness, cut style or tension of the stretch all go into account of how much air it takes to play a call.