OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Scouting

Started by kevin2, March 02, 2015, 02:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin2

Went scouting this weekend. It was cold. Didn't see a thing. At one point I thought I spotted a group of turkeys, but after closer review, it was a dozen or so neatly planted bushes on the edge of this road! Got a good laugh out of me! Saw some tracks, but that was about it. Early yet I know, but wanted to at least give it a go. Saw plenty of Turkeys this time last year & the year before all flocked up on our hunting grounds.

The farmer told me he saw the blg flock at the neighbors property, which wasn't what I wanted to hear!
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

bamagtrdude

Rule #1 of scouting: If you don't go, you won't know!  Hang tough & hang in there; I also was out scouting this weekend, in the cold & the wet & didn't see much, but ...  I know they're in there!

BGD
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

kevin2

As soon as it begins to thaw, I'll step it up.

bamagtrdude

Quote from: kevin2 on March 03, 2015, 11:30:14 PM
As soon as it begins to thaw, I'll step it up.

Let this phrase ring in your head -- "Those who scout, kill."  It's a proven "golden rule" of turkey hunting.

The other way to MOTIVATE you to do more scouting is this phrase I always repeat to myself (and annoy my turkey hunting buddies with) -- "Those who scout turkeys hard, kill birds.  Those who DON'T scout turkeys hard, kill time."

They really don't like it when I say that.

BGD
---

kevin2

well, we have at least 10 days of thawing coming here in Michigan. 41 today, and it will be in the high 40s low 50s the next couple weeks. Mud already starting! Just a matter of time till I can get out there without all this brutal cold and snow in the way.

bamagtrdude

Quote from: kevin2 on March 07, 2015, 02:45:30 PM
well, we have at least 10 days of thawing coming here in Michigan. 41 today, and it will be in the high 40s low 50s the next couple weeks. Mud already starting! Just a matter of time till I can get out there without all this brutal cold and snow in the way.

Good deal, man!!  I went out this morning w/my daughter, mid-morning when it was warmer (youth hunt wkend); at first light, it was 22 deg here in AL!!!!  brrrr!!  Supposed to warm up down here this coming week, too...

Hang in there; the hard you work & scout & observe & stay after it, the luckier you get!!  :)  Tried & true formula...

BGD
---

Efey

Man I had a lot to contribute to this thread. I been using tapatalk to check and our threads were buried in menus. I didn't know all this chatter was going on.