Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Kill and Hunt Stories/Congrats Thread.

Started by bornagain64, February 26, 2015, 07:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bornagain64

Tell us about your hunt here. Even if you do not harvest a bird, share your stories.
We can all learn from the experiences.

Also offer your congratulations here.

kyhareraiser

I'll share a youth hunt story with ya after the weekend of April 4/5

backwater

John (bornagain64) and I were back after the bird we had to walk away from yesterday. We snuck in, well before daylight, to an area that we thought would be a good area to listen. After not hearing any gobbling, we made our way across a creek that we believed hung the bird up on Saturday. After crossing the creek, we set up in an area that looked like turkey heaven. ( Florida river bottom turkey hunters know what I'm talking about). We figured the bird would show up about the same time as Saturday and he didn't disappoint . Somehow the bird made it all the way in to us without us ever seeing it. I could hear some faint drumming, which John can not hear, and I knew he was close. The rest is history. John and I have enjoyed many turkey hunts together and taking a bird off a very tough piece of public land is very rewarding.

jarbo03

tonybforua

Sunday was a windy rainy day and Saturday the Birds were silent. Monday is my normal off day so I headed down to club to check it out. Snuck back to a spot I heard some at last weekend. Heard one gobble on roost. Sounded close but unsure how far cause of wind. Setup in open area of a road. Placed Avian x decoys out and slipped to my spot. Started light calling around 645 and did so about every 20 mins. Everything was silent. At 8 I leaned forward to stretch my back and they caught my eye about 50 yards off to left. 2 Toms had slipped in silent and was coming out of woods into road. I let them ease toward decoys. Waited to see if one would strut but neither would so I chose the one I thought was biggest.

backwater

bornagain64

jarbo03

kyhareraiser

not by far chance a kill story but one worth sharing, second year i taken the same child on his grandpa's farm and second year on no bird on youth weekend, however we got to witness a boss gobbler get his butt kicked and run off though the bachelor group breakout , he was hauling tail/feathers and the others were struttin it up,  now for the odd part, this is the second year /same farm  we witnessesd the bachelor group pecking order brawl  but last year they drew blood. he was happy with the results and we will go back during the main season and fill his tag like last year.

Gumby

woodwzrd

Awesome stories guys and congrats again. I hope to share a story of my own in a couple of weeks.

bornagain64

Went out today to my last quota hunt on public land. All of my areas are really wet and over grown this year, so I decided to try something different today. After sitting in an area we had located birds in the morning with no action, I moved to an Oak Hammock. I had seen a little sign and a hen the day before in this area. Was set up and started to call around 10:45, The gobbler slipped in quietly at around 11:20.
I shot him at around  11:30.

Gumby

Good job and congrats.... I hope to add to our scores with our opener this weekend

jarbo03

After getting set up and realizing I had forgot my calls on the Wednesday opener,  I was ready for redemption on Friday.   While walking in I noticed a good gobble coming from a separate area from the main flock,  and he was all alone,  I knew he was in trouble at that point.   I brought a hen decoy which I rarely use, cause I wanted to get some video footage.  Couldn't get it where i wanted without exposing myself to the bird, with no leaves or growth cover I had to stay in the trees.   Was very close to his roost tree, I hit my mouth call once and gave a few yelps, he gobbled and within a minute flew down.  Before I knew it he was right in front of me, before I was ready.   He saw me move as I turned my camera on and slowly started the other way, he should have went faster.  From flydown to shot was maybe a minute,  very short hunt.

bornagain64

Congrats. Love the pic with your dog posing.