only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Setting up on a roosted bird question

Started by bnew17, March 22, 2011, 11:01:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bnew17

Quote from: J Gilbert on March 23, 2011, 05:57:27 PM
Quote from: bnew17 on March 23, 2011, 08:39:46 AM
I hunt private family land but there is no shortage of hunters in the area from adjoining properties.

Ive had the problem of Gobblers staying on the roost late before. Sometimes i go before work and only have a short window to hunt. It seems like the times they have stayed in the tree for longer than normal was when i called every10 or so minutes.

Are you gonna be close enough to Hogan land to hear my bird die Saturday morning?

Haha, depends. Wheres Hogans land at?

J Gilbert

trkehunr93

Do a fly down with a wing or cup a gloved hand and beat it against your leg and as you do this kick the leaves with one of your feet to sound like a turkey hitting the ground.  Then scratch in the leaves and cluck and purr.  I find that the flydown with kicking the leaves can be deadly to a gobbler, you can also throw in a cackle but turkeys do not always cackle when they fly down.

bnew17

Quote from: J Gilbert on March 24, 2011, 11:03:30 PM
Quote from: bnew17 on March 24, 2011, 02:18:50 PM

Haha, depends. Wheres Hogans land at?

Hwy 336

I dont know of a hwy 336, you sure it isnt 338? Im down on hwy 19 so im a ways from ya. Good luck to ya though. Lets hope the weather cooperates!

J Gilbert

Quote from: bnew17 on March 25, 2011, 08:45:30 AM

I dont know of a hwy 336, you sure it isnt 338? Im down on hwy 19 so im a ways from ya. Good luck to ya though. Lets hope the weather cooperates!

You're right haha, I shouldnt type late at night. I thought you had mentioned once on GON that you hunted some land close to me, oh well, good luck and stay dry haha

bnew17

Quote from: J Gilbert on March 25, 2011, 09:58:44 AM
Quote from: bnew17 on March 25, 2011, 08:45:30 AM

You're right haha, I shouldnt type late at night. I thought you had mentioned once on GON that you hunted some land close to me, oh well, good luck and stay dry haha

I have! I got a buddy with land over that way but ill be on the south end of the county this weekend bustin heads hopefully!

harvester

If both of you are hunting together I would separate about 30-40 yards apart and start talkin back and forth to one another. I would try and ignore the tom (unless he is fired up and I would hush and see what he does next) and act to hens carrying on a conversation. That way if he does have hens they may come in looking for the other ones.