OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Are long distance shots a good thing, or a bad thing for turkey hunting?

Started by deerbasshunter3, February 18, 2015, 08:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LARRYHAYNES

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 19, 2015, 09:49:50 AM
This is a "prickly" subject for us turkey hunters.  Human nature and our desire to succeed as hunters really makes it difficult to sort it out.  Perhaps gun manufacturers should make a "governor" on their guns so that the gun won't fire when a turkey is more than forty yards away.  That would solve the debate for all of us. Unfortunately, that is probably never going to happen, so we will continue to circle the subject, taking jabs as we see fit. 

To me, the debate is not about drawing a line in the sand and declaring,..."A turkey hunter shall not shoot at a gobbler beyond this range".  It is about each of us knowing our weapons and our capabilities and making a conscious decision not to overstep the boundaries of either. 

Let's face it, though, there is a "gray area" out there for each and every one of us where we say to ourselves,..."I'd like him to be closer, but he ain't coming any further,...and I'm pretty sure I can kill him where he's at."  ...And we pull the trigger.  That is the reality of it.  Anybody that can truly look themselves in the mirror and say,..."No, I don't do that,"....well, those guys have my utmost respect.

For the vast majority of us that don't have that self-discipline, the best we can do is make every effort to use the most effective tools we can get,...and then learn to say to ourselves,..."He's too far". 

The problem I personally have regarding long-range shooters is when the "shooting" becomes more important than the "hunting".  When someone loses sight of the idea that turkey hunting is supposed to be an "up close and personal" experience, rather than a "how far can I kill him with my gun and load" experience, then that someone needs to take stock of his reasons for turkey hunting and make an attitude adjustment.

Agree 100%
LARRY

Marc

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 19, 2015, 09:49:50 AM

Let's face it, though, there is a "gray area" out there for each and every one of us where we say to ourselves,..."I'd like him to be closer, but he ain't coming any further,...and I'm pretty sure I can kill him where he's at."  ...And we pull the trigger.  That is the reality of it.  Anybody that can truly look themselves in the mirror and say,..."No, I don't do that,"....well, those guys have my utmost respect.

For the vast majority of us that don't have that self-discipline, the best we can do is make every effort to use the most effective tools we can get,...and then learn to say to ourselves,..."He's too far". 

Great post!

My passion is waterfowl hunting...  But judging range, and shooting ethical shots applies equally to both activities.

As a duck hunter, we have all taken shots that were just a bit too far, but my father gave me some advice not too long ago that rings in my head:

"When that bird comes over that is marginal, and you think to yourself, 'I think I can get this one,' don't shoot...  You need to look at that bird, and know you can get him before pulling the trigger."

I find it much more difficult to judge range with waterfowl and wing-shooting in general, but the same principal applies to turkeys...  I have shot at a turkey that was too far, only to wound him...  It is not a feeling I wish to have again.  Last year, I had a tom hang up at about 40 yards, I thought he would come closer; I have far less regrets about not shooting that bird than the one I shot at too far.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

howl

The limit on distance is what keeps it interesting. People I've known in areas where there is no stigma associated with shooting them with scoped rifles really don't think much of turkey hunting like folks do where it's shotgun only.

jwhunter

the only reason i get out of bed to turkey hunt is to have the rush of making that bird close the distance from 70 to 20 yards. if he will not close it i do not shoot it