OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

recommendations for tubeless red dot?

Started by reynolds243, March 21, 2011, 09:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reynolds243

for under $100?

my stoeger 2000 is shooting left pretty good. I added some adjustable bead sights and have it dialed back to POA but not sure if i like the look of it now.  Just seems weird looking down the barrel at it so I may try and go to a tubeless red dot if i can find someone to drill and tap my gun for pretty cheap.

anyways anyone got any recommendations on one that will hold up to rough spring turkey hunting? i am not one to sit still long and have been know to be rough on guns during the spring so i am a bit worried one will not make it though the season.

sugarray

For under $100 I would only recommend the Mueller Quick Shot.  I have a review of it here in the optics section.  It is awesome, easy to adjust, adjustable reticle to suit your likes, can get black or camo for $100.  It is a click adjustment without needing locking screws.  There just isn't much field test with it yet.

The FF II will give you a smaller sight, sit lower on your rail.  It has only a 4 MOA dot, and only automatic setting for the brightness.  It is a little more difficult to line in as it is not click adjustment.  It is well made though and the field testing has been done already.  I have a review of the FF II as well.

reynolds243

how much higher then a bead will that Mueller be? at some point it is too high to where the gun just beats you in the mouth. I know you can get a comb kit but man thats just another $20 to the mix.

cannonball

Quote from: reynolds243 on March 21, 2011, 09:38:58 PM
how much higher then a bead will that Mueller be? at some point it is too high to where the gun just beats you in the mouth. I know you can get a comb kit but man thats just another $20 to the mix.

I second the Mueller. After sighting mine in I would buy another one without question. I wish you were in East Tennessee, I would let you check out my turkey gun to see if you liked the sight.

hookedspur

Quote from: cannonball on March 21, 2011, 10:40:51 PM

I second the Mueller. After sighting mine in I would buy another one without question. I wish you were in East Tennessee, I would let you check out my turkey gun to see if you liked the sight.
x3
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

chatterbox

Mueller quick shot. Only open type red dot in that price range I would buy.

sugarray

Here is what mine looks like on my 835 and the FF II for comparison.

reynolds243

I def like the Mueller now i just have to figure out how to mount it the least expensive way possible. my gun is not tapped so i have to find a base and someone to tap it for not much money.

thanks for all the replys.

reynolds243

what would yall recommend between the Mueller and the truglo true bite? i am pretty much down to those 2.  i assume each has pros and cons but i have never used a red dot type of scope so any help would be appreciated.

still not 100% sure i am going with one, waiting on a few calls back to see how much it will be to tap my gun. 

sugarray

I believe the Tru Brite is new this year.  I have never seen on in person and have no idea about it.  The Mueller Quick Shot has had quite a few rounds through it from me and others sighting in, so I still say the Mueller.

cannonball

Quote from: sugarray on March 23, 2011, 08:22:59 AM
I believe the Tru Brite is new this year.  I have never seen on in person and have no idea about it.  The Mueller Quick Shot has had quite a few rounds through it from me and others sighting in, so I still say the Mueller.

:agreed: I am sellling my scope on my Mossberg and buying another Mueller after the results I had with the Mueller on my Remington 870.

I don't know about your area, but around Knoxville most gunsmiths want 60.00 to drill and tap a reciever. Then you still need to buy the mount. You are looking at close to 100.00 by the time you buy a quality mount and pay taxes.

reynolds243

thanks guys...as an update i found a guy (friend of a friend) that is going to tap it FOR FREE! and went ahead and ordered the mueller today.

should be on the gun shooting by sat! thanks again to everyone for the replys.

whiskey

Quote from: reynolds243 on March 23, 2011, 07:27:46 PM
thanks guys...as an update i found a guy (friend of a friend) that is going to tap it FOR FREE! and went ahead and ordered the mueller today.

should be on the gun shooting by sat! thanks again to everyone for the replys.

REN,

Glad you got someone to hook you up. I think you are going to enjoy the red dot. I put a burris on mine last night and I love the way to looks and works. I am all spent up on turkey gear this year, but next year I will have a Mueller or Burris on my daughter's turkey gun too.

reynolds243

my hope now is i wont need a riser comb to see it.....i have poured enough money into this gun this spring...really dont want to add another 20 bones to it.

sugarray

Quote from: reynolds243 on March 24, 2011, 10:32:32 AM
my hope now is i wont need a riser comb to see it.....i have poured enough money into this gun this spring...really dont want to add another 20 bones to it.

I know how you feel.  I would like to have another call this year as well as get into loading the 20 gauge TSS to go along with my 12, but mama would not be happy and gotta keep her happy.