Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Remington Hevi #6's

Started by blackmagic, February 16, 2015, 11:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackmagic

Didn't feel like weeding through the thread on the main forum, figured some of you seasoned hunters could give me some info.  My uncle who quit duck hunting a few years ago, gave me these shells. 

I know it all depends on the pattern out of my gun, but are these generally decent for turkey loads? 

TURKEYWHACKER

No, they're junk. I'll swing by and pick them up so you don't use any by accident. Luckily you have a buddy like me to look out for ya.  ;D

blackmagic

Yeah...lucky.....  Anything will be better than the pattern I shot on that bird at 10 steps that had pellets from its head to its feet.

RutnNStrutn

Well, one thing is for sure. If they are waterfowl loads, they are either steel or non-toxic. I don't know about he non-toxics, but steel doesn't compress well down a tight turkey choke. Some of the chokes even say lead only. So be careful Rey.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: TURKEYWHACKER on February 18, 2015, 02:52:00 AM
No, they're junk. I'll swing by and pick them up so you don't use any by accident. Luckily you have a buddy like me to look out for ya.  ;D
What a guy!!! ;D :lol: :TooFunny:

blackmagic

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on February 18, 2015, 06:24:57 PM
Well, one thing is for sure. If they are waterfowl loads, they are either steel or non-toxic. I don't know about he non-toxics, but steel doesn't compress well down a tight turkey choke. Some of the chokes even say lead only. So be careful Rey.
From what I can figure out, they're straight Hevi-Shot that was made by Remington before EnvironMetal made their own loads.  I was just wondering.  I'll be shooting the Hevi Mag Blends again this year.  I was very impressed with them last year.

TURKEYWHACKER

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on February 18, 2015, 06:25:46 PM
Quote from: TURKEYWHACKER on February 18, 2015, 02:52:00 AM
What a guy!!! ;D :lol: :TooFunny:
[
What can I say, I'm a giver.  :angel9:
/quote]

g8rvet

I bought some of these for back ups to my Remington 1 5/8 turkey loads and they do not pattern as good as the slower turkey shot IN MY GUN.  I have since moved on to trying other loads and may just save them to shoot them at geese.  If you can get them to pattern well, I know they have the power to stone a turkey at 40 steps.  I saw a snow goose taken at a height I did not think possible and it had a pellet that passed clean through the breast and out the top of the back. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Hayudog

I know some guys have bought those just to re claim the shot.  They reload them ... So if they do not pattern well initially, keep that in mind.  I don't know about the recipes the guys use though.  And I'm not sure about OldGobblers mind set on reloader forum, or if there is one.   Oldgobbler.com has a number of guys that reload, and have helped me out with the TSS that I run. I shoot 9's, 1 5/16 oz, and patterns over 200 in a 10" at 40 yards with my 20ga, factory fixed full choke. 

RutnNStrutn

I guess I'm old fashioned (and I don't shoot heavies), but I can't see myself shooting a turkey with 9's. How many have you taken down with that set up?

Hayudog

Since I started with the twenty gauge a couple years ago.  Shot one at 47 yards that didn't even flop.  I flat out miss estimated.  Walked out to him and ranged back to the tree I was sitting at. 
The TSS is a heavier than lead material. Tungsten.  I think the relative weight goes about 12 for lead, 14 for heavy shot, 15 for Federal Heavy Weight, and 17 for TSS (tungsten super steel?)  You can look at the penetration pictures on the Gobbler  forum.
Factory shells, the Federal Heavy Weight stuff is real good.  I've run 7's out my daughters twenty.  Check out the sub gauge stuff. .410's and 28's are being used a lot.
This is what I use to Roll My Own.

Hayudog

Just looked back at the pictures and my last 12 ga. Bird was 4 years ago.  So it's either been bow or twenty gauge since then. 4 twenty gauge birds and 3 bow birds. And one pellet gun bird!
My effectiveness was not limited by the gun, it was the cooperation of the long beards.... That was the problem!

RutnNStrutn

Sounds like you're on a roll!! Keep up the good work!! :icon_thumright:

Twowithone

Wow Hayudog 3 turks with the bow that's good what you shooting. WilsSpur goes out with the bow now and then its just a matter of time before he scores on a gobbler. :OGturkeyhead:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Hayudog

The bow has allowed me access to small suburban ranches. Turkeys that have little pressure. I've shot them with Rage expandables and now use the Magnus Bullhead. Better option because on these places I can't have one run off looking like a hotdog on a stick.  It took some tuning, had to use 5" feathers to stabilize the arrow. But now at ten to twelve yards they are spot on.