Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

It *SURE* Is Quiet In Here - ??!!!??

Started by bamagtrdude, February 10, 2015, 01:47:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bamagtrdude

*ahem* ...  Uhm, NOOBS!!!???!!  Anybody out there??

As the "seasoned vet" of the bunch, I'm a bit surprised I'm not reading some scouting reports, visual sightings, etc. nearly every week...  What's going on, guys??  Have any of you actually BEEN scouting?  You ain't gonna kill a bird by wishin'/hopin'/prayin' (well, maybe prayin', but ...  don't count on it!)...

Also, have you put ALL YOUR EGGS in 1 basket?  Meaning, do you only have 1 spot to hunt?  If so, you better be telling everybody you KNOW that you're a turkey hunter & get some more spots; more options = better turkey hunting success in case one spot ain't happening that day...

Let me know what's up; stop worrying about your gun & get some LEATHER ON SOME DIRT & let's start hearing about all the birds you're on this season...  Let's GO!!

BGD
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

ScottS

Unfortunately my turkey hunting ground is six hours away as I recently moved for a job to the the Texas panhandle but I have five different properties to hunt. Unfortunately I can't scout like I want to but I have eyes watching them for me so when I get there I won't be lost.

bamagtrdude

Quote from: ScottS on February 10, 2015, 08:37:04 AM
Unfortunately my turkey hunting ground is six hours away as I recently moved for a job to the the Texas panhandle but I have five different properties to hunt. Unfortunately I can't scout like I want to but I have eyes watching them for me so when I get there I won't be lost.

Good stuff; I have spots like that, too, Scott...  It's kinda like football -- what you do in the PRE-SEASON directly translates to your success (or lack thereof) in the REAL game - the actual season...  Visual sightings & scouting are critical...
---

GomerPyle

did a little squirrel hunting/turkey scouting Sat....found a little poop but that was about it.  should be picking up a bit over the next few weeks
[From a buddy re: turkey hunting]
"the best advice I can give you is to run from it like it's crystal meth"

bamagtrdude

Quote from: GomerPyle on February 10, 2015, 12:24:51 PM
did a little squirrel hunting/turkey scouting Sat....found a little poop but that was about it.  should be picking up a bit over the next few weeks

Awesome!
---

bamagtrdude

AdamSean is one of my turkey huntin' buddies & is part of Team Noob...  Today, we did "e-scouting" on a piece of land he's got access to...  We've mapped out water sources, ridge lines, gully's, visual sightings of tracks/poop/scratching, deer & turkey trails, heads of woods that are likely feeding & roosting spots, open areas for strutting, etc. etc. etc...

Do we know all of this to be true on this piece of land?  NOT AT ALL; *BUT* it gives us a starting point for when we go out & scout it on foot, b/c we're confirming what we BELIEVE *might* be the case...

I'm serious, guys, the MORE you invest in scouting -- just like this -- the more confident & successful you will be w/turkey encounters -- IN THE LEAST -- and recorded kills -- IN THE BEST!!

Take this pre-season very seriously, esp w/regards to scouting...  Google Maps (and topo's) is YOUR FRIEND...  Sure wish I'd had access to it many, many years ago...  Would have saved me a LOT of time, energy, and wasted effort...

BGD
---

Bigeclipse

Our season starts may so I'll be scouting probably some weeks before that on my father in laws property but for now I've been Google mapping public land as a just in case his land doesn't work out. It's been rather difficult determining where public land is though.

bamagtrdude

Quote from: Bigeclipse on February 11, 2015, 02:02:07 PM
Our season starts may so I'll be scouting probably some weeks before that on my father in laws property but for now I've been Google mapping public land as a just in case his land doesn't work out. It's been rather difficult determining where public land is though.

10-4; where are you located?
---

Bigeclipse

Quote from: bamagtrdude on February 11, 2015, 02:13:46 PM
Quote from: Bigeclipse on February 11, 2015, 02:02:07 PM

10-4; where are you located?
Near Albany NY

bamagtrdude

---

Bigeclipse

Quote from: bamagtrdude on February 14, 2015, 04:39:49 PM
Quote from: Bigeclipse on February 14, 2015, 12:17:30 PM
Near Albany NY

10-4; hope it thaws out some before the season opener!

Me too. We have had over 2 feet of snowfall in the past two weeks. I can't wait for spring!

kevin2

I've been checking in here every day or so.

As for scouting, I haven't been since I went a few weeks ago. I'll go again soon, and then really ramp it up as the season nears.
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

bamagtrdude

Quote from: kevin2 on February 16, 2015, 05:05:40 PM
I've been checking in here every day or so.

As for scouting, I haven't been since I went a few weeks ago. I'll go again soon, and then really ramp it up as the season nears.

10-4
---

JuniorPre 360

I went scouting and saw the strangest turkey. I got a picture of it but Tapatalk won't allow me to upload it. I'll have to figure it out later. It's truely a sight to see.

My open season turkey tags just landed on the shelves. My hunt won't start until May.

bamagtrdude

Quote from: JuniorPre 360 on February 18, 2015, 02:58:45 PM
I went scouting and saw the strangest turkey. I got a picture of it but Tapatalk won't allow me to upload it. I'll have to figure it out later. It's truely a sight to see.
My open season turkey tags just landed on the shelves. My hunt won't start until May.

Cool, ya -- upload pics, can't wait to see it...
---