turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Help!!!

Started by unworthy, March 21, 2011, 04:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unworthy

My season is in full swing in the Mississippi Swamps!  This weekend I was hunting a green strip next to a roosting site where a ton of birds are.  I heard several gobblers that morning on the roost and did some soft yelping and at day break I had 3 jakes pitch in my lap.  They hung out for a while until a hen pitched then they left my set up and chased her.  My question is this: What will it take to get the boss gobbler to come investigate if 3 jakes won't?  I have a great stuffed strutting decoy and was wondering if setting him up and using a gobble tube just before sun up would cause enough curiousity in a mature bird.

Thanks for all the help!

:jesus-cross:

Nimrodmar10

The decoy should work wonders. The only problem is if the Jakes are running in a "gang" group you may have to do something to bust them up. Otherwise they may come down and tear your mounted bird up flogging him. I've seen them do it to live longbeards on many occasions.

hookedspur

Quote from: Nimrodmar10 on March 21, 2011, 04:11:09 PM
The decoy should work wonders. The only problem is if the Jakes are running in a "gang" group you may have to do something to bust them up. Otherwise they may come down and tear your mounted bird up flogging him. I've seen them do it to live longbeards on many occasions.
:agreed: bust them up and the whole area should get noisier
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions