turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Lite recoil shells

Started by Wild 1, March 20, 2011, 08:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wild 1

I'm looking for some lite recoil shells  for turkey hunting. My 7 yr old son wants to try shooting my 20 gauge, he shot it last year and it kicked move than he liked. He was shooting game loads. If i can find some shells with less kick than game loads I will let him try it again. I plan on keeping shots around 20 yards. Any help would be great!

jtg88

As a little kid I killed a couple birds shooting 2.75" #6 heavy game loads.  If it were me, I'd let him practice with some low brass bird shot so he won't be afraid of the gun and on the hunt put a regular turkey load in there.  He won't ever feel it when he shoots a turkey.

Also, I think Federal is loading some 2.75" Heavyweight loads this year.  They shouldn't kick too hard and would extend his range way past 20 yards.

gophert

Quote from: jtg88 on March 20, 2011, 09:06:15 PM

Also, I think Federal is loading some 2.75" Heavyweight loads this year.  They shouldn't kick too hard and would extend his range way past 20 yards.

I have patterned these through a Remington Super Full, Primos JellyHead, and SSX.  (check the posts and you will find results) Although 40 yards would be a last resort...these shells are DEADLY at 30 yards and in. 

My 10 year old daughter shoots them and they do not kick much more than the dove loads. 

knightrider

Quote from: jtg88 on March 20, 2011, 09:06:15 PM
As a little kid I killed a couple birds shooting 2.75" #6 heavy game loads.  If it were me, I'd let him practice with some low brass bird shot so he won't be afraid of the gun and on the hunt put a regular turkey load in there.  He won't ever feel it when he shoots a turkey.

thats what i do with the two young boys i take they never know the difference :z-winnersmiley: