turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best Jake Decoy

Started by zelmo1, January 13, 2015, 09:35:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JLH

Just get the DSD. ...and you won't have to worry about weather or not you decoy will work.

I got one last season, and it is the single best purchase I've made in all my years turkey hunting.

ridgerunner

Quote from: Marc on February 19, 2015, 06:03:20 PM
Quote from: ChasinTails27 on February 16, 2015, 09:05:06 PM
I didn't want to spend the money on the DSD's so i went with the Avian X decoys.  I have hunted with a buddy who had them and they are pretty nice, especially for the money if you can catch them on sale.

I am looking at getting a decent jake decoy myself...

DSD is almost twice the money of Avian X...  The Avian is also smaller and collapsible (which is a very appealing feature).

Do you think that there have been instances in which a DSD would have pulled a bird in when your Avian X did not?  Have you had any first-hand experience of birds behaving differently towards the DSD as opposed to the Avian?

Avian is just as good for killing birds, for half the money..IMHO

55esox

DSD is a great looking decoy no doubt, but it must fit with your hunting style. I cannot deal with lugging that thing over the distances I need to walk. I haven't seen the Dakota in person but the same rules apply for me. The Avain looks like a pretty good pick for both realism and packability. That being said I use a Pretty Boy Jr that I custom painted and it suits me fine.

I would have zero problem with staking any of these in front of me at 20 yards, it just matters on how big of pain it was for me to carry it out there in the first place.

porcupine

My DSD is less than 10 yards from the blind...every time!
Purdy eh!

ChasinTails27

Quote from: Marc on February 19, 2015, 06:03:20 PM
Quote from: ChasinTails27 on February 16, 2015, 09:05:06 PM
I didn't want to spend the money on the DSD's so i went with the Avian X decoys.  I have hunted with a buddy who had them and they are pretty nice, especially for the money if you can catch them on sale.

I am looking at getting a decent jake decoy myself...

DSD is almost twice the money of Avian X...  The Avian is also smaller and collapsible (which is a very appealing feature).

Do you think that there have been instances in which a DSD would have pulled a bird in when your Avian X did not?  Have you had any first-hand experience of birds behaving differently towards the DSD as opposed to the Avian?

I can't honestly answer that question because I have never hunted with anybody who had the DSD.  All birds are different though, sometimes they won't come to any decoys and sometimes you don't even need a decoy.  2 of the birds we killed last year were killed without decoys.

turkey buster

I can't believe I'm the only one...I like the funky chicken. Seriously it's worked for me a few times since buying it

zelmo1

:drool: Google " best turkey decoy" and follow the site. This is the guy who makes or designed the decoy for Dakota Decoys and it is $80 not $120. I got mine from him and it is exactly the same as thr DD's.

mudhen

While I think the DSD jake is the best by far, I went with the Zink jake because it was so much easier to transport...

Had some great hunts with the Zink jake so far....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Old Gobbler

The" D" is merely a Chinese made "hard body" replica or copy of inovative and original ... American made DSD

You'll find a much higher quality of construction ,materials and paint job With the DSD over the "D"

It's your money do as you see fit
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

30_06

I prefer the DSD for a few of the reasons listed above. US made, realistic, good materials, good company, durable, etc.

MAKEemQUIVER

DSD for me. I have hunted with both and I prefer the DSD. Without a doubt the Zinc will bring birds in but Im just not much on it personally. I dont see any difference in carrying the two as well.
I was nervous about carrying the DSD but after I have done it i dont mind it at all.
Go Big Blue!!!!!!

SKFOOTER

See if you can find a Pretty Boy Jr Semi-Strut decoy.  They are out of production but still available.   :OGturkeyhead:

jblackburn

Quote from: SKFOOTER on March 04, 2015, 10:37:38 AM
See if you can find a Pretty Boy Jr Semi-Strut decoy.  They are out of production but still available.   :OGturkeyhead:

This.  Got mine for $20 + some cheap acrylic paint to change the color of the head and it works great.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Honolua