OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best Jake Decoy

Started by zelmo1, January 13, 2015, 09:35:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zelmo1

:turkey2:I hunt in northern New England, we do not have the competition for hens that higher density areas do. My question is, what Jake decoy works best for you in your hunting situations? If we do not have a perfect set up when using a Jake decoy, we do not do that well. We still work birds but they get awfully shied up. We usually stay away from the Jake decoy but want to use them more. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Al Baker

cornfedkiller

mgm1955

Quote from: cornfedkiller on January 13, 2015, 02:54:42 PM
DSD.
IMO the best. With a couple of DSD hens has been a killer set up for me.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

fenderhunt4

I'd suggest looking at "Best Turkey Decoy" I like some of the additional features (head tilt, stake strap) over the DSD jake (though both are well crafted decoys). I think Dakota Decoys started selling them now. I bought a new one on eBay for a pretty fair price last winter. BTD advocates that both jakes and toms aren't afraid to approach it--that's why I got it. It did get my wife a nice 20 yard shot at a jake when a group of 7 came running in to flog it!

Bowguy

mgm1955

DSD with a couple of hens no doubt!

zelmo1

:funnyturkey: I got a Jake decoy from BTD, Dakota Decoys does offer them now but if you order direct you will save $40. The decoy looks amazing, can't wait to try it out. Al Baker

wvlimbhanger

Count my vote for DSD as well.  The detail, size and posture of this decoy make it a great tool for turkey hunters.  Pair it with one or two DSD hens and it makes for a great set up.

Timmer

I know 2 very successful bow hunters that swear by Dakota's Best Decoy Ever - Xtreme Jake.  They believe the posture is what makes it effective.   I broke down and bought one this winter.  It's bigger than I expected, but if it works as well as suggested, I guess I will deal with the size.

Update - In another thread that I started people are stating that the Dakota and DSD decoys are exactly the same in size and shape.  If you are price sensitive, the Dakota is cheaper.
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

Ishi

DSD jake and two hens have been a good investment for myself.
The Spirit Lives On

jims

I know a lot of guys swear by DSD's.  Others seem to like the posture of the Dakota.  Here's an incredible deal on Dakatas.  http://bestturkeydecoy.com/

I guess you can decide if the DSD is worth twice the price?  I've had great success with the Dakota.  The only problem I've had is the size is pretty large for packing very far.

wit

Last year was my first year bow hunting turkeys and the only complaint I have with the dsd jake are the fights he starts.

Great customer service to boot if you have any issues.

ChasinTails27

I didn't want to spend the money on the DSD's so i went with the Avian X decoys.  I have hunted with a buddy who had them and they are pretty nice, especially for the money if you can catch them on sale.

Marc

Quote from: ChasinTails27 on February 16, 2015, 09:05:06 PM
I didn't want to spend the money on the DSD's so i went with the Avian X decoys.  I have hunted with a buddy who had them and they are pretty nice, especially for the money if you can catch them on sale.

I am looking at getting a decent jake decoy myself...

DSD is almost twice the money of Avian X...  The Avian is also smaller and collapsible (which is a very appealing feature).

Do you think that there have been instances in which a DSD would have pulled a bird in when your Avian X did not?  Have you had any first-hand experience of birds behaving differently towards the DSD as opposed to the Avian?
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.