OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Ordered a sumtoy for my 870

Started by mathews bowhunter, January 11, 2015, 08:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mathews bowhunter

Ordered a 562-5 for my rem 870 20 youth with 21" barrel. Plan on shooting some hw 6 and 7. Way else is a good load to pattern thru it? Also, I've read a lot about the lot numbers of these shells but still kinda confused about them. Is there that much difference between different lot numbers? I'm ready to get the choke so I can shoot!

BandedSpur

Great choke for the HW 7s. I wouldn't waste my money on the 6s...huge, and I mean huge, excess of pellet energy at the expense of pattern density. The 7s are far and away superior to the 6s in HW.

gophert

Quote from: BandedSpur on January 12, 2015, 08:00:26 AM
Great choke for the HW 7s. I wouldn't waste my money on the 6s...huge, and I mean huge, excess of pellet energy at the expense of pattern density. The 7s are far and away superior to the 6s in HW.

This ^^^^^^^^^

Sent from my typewriter

R AJ

Another shell to try is the Hevi-13 7s with that choke. Luv luv luv those Federal # 7s  though.

mathews bowhunter

I got a box of Fed 7. It's supposed to be high near 60 this weekend. I may try to shoot it and see how it does. I know it won't be the best but it's killing me waiting for warmer weather!

Deast1988

Sounds good, Sumtoy has my gun now choke cone little project of mine. I went with your same choke so we shall see.

Keep us posted

gobbler777

Put the same choke on my 870 youth model last year ... never look back. Top Shelf
For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland

mathews bowhunter

Did some shooting today. 62 degrees. That circle is 9". 40 yards. I could have got 10 more pellets in a 10" circle. My dot was off so I wasted 3 shells gettin it back where it needed to be. I guess I'll try again when I get me some more rounds!

mathews bowhunter

Shot this one at 30. Have to be careful if he gets much closer!

mathews bowhunter

Both patterns were shot thru a dirty barrel. No dry patch or nothin between shots. I don't think it's horribly bad. I'm gonna get some more rounds from another lot number if I can find them and try them. What do you guys think?

Izzyjoe

All I can is Wow! I tried some hevi 13 7's this weekend, and I got 114 hits, but I'm using a titewad .570, not overly impressed with it but it will do.

mathews bowhunter

Ima clean the barrel and shoot it again. Ordered some more rounds last night! They shipped this morning!   :funnyturkey:

SumToy

You can dry brush the barrel and run some denatured alcohol patches down the barrel to get it clean.  That should help some with the patterns. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

goblr77

There's nothing wrong with 130-140 in 10" @ 40. That's what I would prefer actually. These folks are playing with fire shooting 180 and above. A missed bird will change your tune real quick.

SKFOOTER