turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Lohman 320 Choke????

Started by Nimrodmar10, March 20, 2011, 12:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nimrodmar10

Hey guys, I've got a Lohman 320 "Lead Only" choke that I bought several years ago for a 11-87 Rem. for my daughter to turkey hunt with. She only hunted with me one year but killed a huge 5 bearded bird. I'm taking a friend's son next weekend so I put the choke in an 870 Youth Model and put a red dot scope on it for him. He's only 9 and not that big so I'm trying to go short and light on the gun. I took it to the range to sight it in and wasn't that pleased with the patterns. I was shooting Hevi-13 1 1/4 oz #6s and only getting 80-90 holes in the 10" circle. The Lohman choke is extended and mics .558" and is not ported.

Anyone have any experience with this choke or suggestions for a better shooting shell? I think I'm on the way to Gander Mountain to buy a Jelly Head for the gun. I don't have time to order anything before next Saturday.

R AJ

If you are getting 80-90 at 40 yards just let hime shoot at no mor ethan 30m yds as a 40 yd shot for a 9 yr old is asking a lot. It will do fine.

That choke may shoot a Fed FC shell very well, try #6 lead or #7 HW.

tra_cline

At what range were you getting 80-90 in 10"? if it was at 40, my question would be Do you expect him to have to shoot 40 yrds,  What did the 25 yrd pattern look like if it was even and had good coverage you should be fine, the RSF or one in  the 570 range should shoot those shells well,  with it being a non-ported choke it may shoot a flite control shell better

Nimrodmar10

Thanks for the replies. I don't expect a 9 year old to shoot a turkey at 40 yards with a 20 ga Rem. Youth Model 870. I wouldn't even try that shot myself. The 40 yard target is just a marking stick to compare different loads and choke tubes. I figure the tighter the pattern at 40 yards, the tighter the pattern at 20 or 30 yards. Mainly I'm looking for a shell/choke combination that won't leave turkey head size holes in the pattern at an appropriate range.

Nimrodmar10

I made the trip to Gander Mountain to get the Primos Jelly Head choke. Wasted trip and money. It doesn't pattern as well as the Lohman.

shootumindaface

Quote from: RAJ on March 20, 2011, 04:47:31 PM
If you are getting 80-90 at 40 yards just let hime shoot at no mor ethan 30m yds as a 40 yd shot for a 9 yr old is asking a lot. It will do fine.

That choke may shoot a Fed FC shell very well, try #6 lead or #7 HW.
Yup I would die to try some Fed HW 7s through that choke....

With that being said sounds like you have a nice pattern for a youngster..

Nimrodmar10

Yup I would die to try some Fed HW 7s through that choke....
[/quote]

Yeah I would too. Unfortunately Lynchburg TN is in one of those shooting supply deserts. No real stores within 60 miles and the Gander Mountain in Huntsville AL doesn't have squat for turkey hunting shells. I'm going to order some Federal HWs in the Flight Control wad for the 20 guage with the Lohman Long Shot and some for my 870 Super Mag with the Rem. Super Full Turkey tube (both unported). But I can't get them shipped in and tested before next Saturday.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: Nimrodmar10 on March 20, 2011, 08:04:54 PM
I made the trip to Gander Mountain to get the Primos Jelly Head choke. Wasted trip and money. It doesn't pattern as well as the Lohman.

wish I would have saw your post earlier, I would have told you that you were wasting your money on the jellyhead (not worth a crap in a 20ga)
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Nimrodmar10

Too late for tomorrow morning but I'll put the Lohman back in. What 20 ga. choke should I try?