Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

floating dot on red dot scopes..tech help!

Started by fountain, March 19, 2011, 08:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fountain

I have always looked for a red dot scope that the dot would not move inside when you move your head..say hold the scope out from u and fix it on something and raised your head and see if the dot floats or stays on the object it is pointed at.  I thought my bushnell trophy red dots were good at staying put but checked again the other night and it moved when I did this
  I also just got a turkey thug edition 835 with the tru glo red dot scope and it does it as well.  Do they all move some/ float when you lift your head or move it in any weird position?  I have another bushnell I need to look at before I set the new 835 up as the bushenll may be a better scope than the tru glo..not sure there as I have never had a tru glo.

Anyone ever noticed the dot floating when you wiggle around..or do I just have a bunch of crappy scopes?  Btw...the other 835 I have with the bushnell sighted in good and killed fine last year, but now im worried bout it and may shoot it again to be sure.

Reloader

What you are referring to is parallax. Check them with your gun in a good rest or vice. You may find that you have it at very close range, but none at longer ranges.

fountain

i think it may be fine further out, but im still kinda worried.  is this normal?  i searched on here for parallax posts but didnt come up with much since the crash.  maybe im just thinking too much into it.  the bushnell worked great last year and i feel it still will.  any red dots parallax free..short of the ff 2 and the speed beads?

keyser12ga

It's normal, it's parallax free, not totally, but for turkey ranges shouldn't pose a problem.  When you move your head the dot appears to move in relation to your eye.  If you were to place your gun in a vice with the dot on a fixed point/target and move your head around, the dot would appear to move, while still being fixed on the target.  That is one of the nice things about red dots, you don't have to be perfectly lined up with a perfect sight picture.  Once it's sighted in, as long as it doesn't drift from recoil, as long as the dot is on the target, that's where it hits.

keyser12ga