turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

need yalls opinions

Started by somedude, November 17, 2014, 11:41:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

somedude

Back ground on me. November 2012 I fell and broke my neck.  3 surgeries and 2 years lated, dr said I can go turkey hunting again!!!!!  Ok, I have an old 870 wingmaster 3 inch magnum 12 gauge with a 30 inchfull choke.  I am going to try to build a turkey gun.  Is there a barrel that is shorter and takes screw in chokes. What else can I do to make it a turkey gun.  Recoil is a problem too.  Should I put money into this gun or buy a remington 870 20 gauge to make a turkey gun?  My 870 is in great condition.  I just want a shorter barrel and screw in chokes. Thanks for your time. <>< del :turkey2:
A generous man will prosper; He who refreshes others will himself be refreshed.  Prov  11:25
DALES TURKEY CALLS
Stevens 20 gauge
Remington 870  12 gauge
https://i.imgur.com/howRdMo.jpg

Bigspurs68

In your situation, I'd buy a 20ga turkey gun. You'll have a lighter gun and with the right load/ choke combo, you'd have a mild recoiling turkey killer.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

mgm1955

Quote from: Bigspurs68 on November 18, 2014, 12:20:23 AM
In your situation, I'd buy a 20ga turkey gun. You'll have a lighter gun and with the right load/ choke combo, you'd have a mild recoiling turkey killer.
I agree. Think this option will result in less wear and tear on you. You want to be able to hunt for many more years to come.

gwa

And go one step further and make it a semi-automatic twenty gauge.

Denny

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

davisd9

I would go with the 20 ga.  There are a few different options that you can consider in a very reasonably budget.  If I was doing a pump in your situation I would probably add a recoil reducing stock as well.  An auto is a good choice, but my 11-87 20 ga can be stiff on certain loads though not as bad as my 870.  If I was doing a pump I would do a 21" 870 or a 26" 500.  If I was doing an auto I would look at the 21" 11-87s and the Weatherby SA-08.  Good luck.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

allaboutshooting

Quote from: somedude on November 17, 2014, 11:41:41 PM
Back ground on me. November 2012 I fell and broke my neck.  3 surgeries and 2 years lated, dr said I can go turkey hunting again!!!!!  Ok, I have an old 870 wingmaster 3 inch magnum 12 gauge with a 30 inchfull choke magazine.  I am going to try to build a turkey gun.  Is there a barrel that is shorter and takes screw in chokes. What else can I do to make it a turkey gun.  Recoil is a problem too.  Should I put money into this gun or buy a remington 870 20 gauge to make a turkey gun?  My 870 is in great condition.  I just want a shorter barrel and screw in chokes. Thanks for your time. <>< del :turkey2:

First of all, congratulations on your recovery. I wish you all the best.

There are many barrels that will fit your Wingmaster, which is an excellent shotgun. I'd recommend a 26" barrel and you should be able to find one, new or used pretty easily. I would not be at all concerned about getting a matte finished Express barrel, even though it won't match your gun, it will work and just help camo it.

I'd recommend that you look into the EvoShield shooting protection. It includes a shirt and a recoil shield that conforms to your body and really helps to absorb and distribute recoil. Doris and I both use them in competition and for hunting and it reduces recoil from a 12 gauge to about a 20 gauge. If you'll put a Limbsaver pad on your gun and use that system, you'll be amazed at the very little recoil you feel.

Again, congratulations and all my best to you as you resume you're hunting career.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

somedude

Well, I traded my 22 rifle for a Mossberg 500 "Country Squire".  It is a 20 guage.  It has a poly choke on it.  I shot with 3 inch shells and it shot reallly well at 30 yards which is my self imposed maximum yardage.  The 12 gauge was just too much to shoot. :TrainWreck1:  I hope the Mossberg serves me well.  Now I got to get Ole Tom to get in front of me :turkey2:   thanks for the replies   ><>  deacon
A generous man will prosper; He who refreshes others will himself be refreshed.  Prov  11:25
DALES TURKEY CALLS
Stevens 20 gauge
Remington 870  12 gauge
https://i.imgur.com/howRdMo.jpg

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer