Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Anyone use an Ithaca 37 Turkeyslayer for deer with slugs (slug choke) ???

Started by Mike Honcho, November 19, 2014, 10:15:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Honcho

Due to my schedule I haven't had time to bow hunt much this year and was toying with idea of using my Ithaca 37 Turkeyslayer (Kings Ferry build) with a Hastings Slug Choke I picked up used.

I haven't shot the gun yet with slugs so I'm not sure the accuracy potential.  I have a Red Dot on it and would be using from my bow hunting tree stands so shots would be in the 20-40 yard range.

Any input as to what type of slugs etc. would be appreciated.  I live in a state where I can hunt with high powered rifle but thought this might be fun and more challenging.

davisd9

At those ranges I would probably just use 00 or 000 buckshot.  I would not be to concerned about the accuracy at the distance as anything should be able to group decently within 50 yards.  Good luck.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Mike Honcho

I thought of the buckshot too but I'm in a state that requires slugs for shotgun deer hunting.

I agree at those ranges just sight in and go....brand of slug probably not a big deal.