turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Binocular Suggestions

Started by Cove, October 28, 2014, 07:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cove

I'm looking for a new set of binos. . . . . anyone an expert? I'm lost in all the prism talk, multi coating this and that.

I'm looking at Leupold McKinley HD at the moment but I'm welcoming any other input. Biggest question, can Leupold stack up to Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski, Vortex? I'm not looking to spend 2k but know I'll have to loosin the wallet for good optics.

Devastator

I have some Leupold Cascades that are 8 years old and are still going strong,would love me some Swarovski's but can't justify the price.

mgm1955

I'm a binocular junkie and love my swarovkis, but I have tried many others. In my truck I keep a pair of Nikon monarch 3 and minox both great binos and certainly easier on the wallet. Vortex also makes a great bino and offers several levels so you can pick your price. Try to get a pair that's multi coated. Ultimately you should be able to get a great pair for $250-400.

Redfish

I love my Vortex Vipers. Great glass and you can't beat the warranty. You can run over them with your truck and they will replace them.
John 3:16

WV Ridge Reaper

vaturkey

Leupold Mohave 10x42 ! Clear as just about other brands ! Lightweight ! About 500.00
Vaturkey

GobbleNut

The basics are to get bino's that are fully-coated (all lenses coated) and multi-coated (all lenses with multiple coatings).  A lot of the decision making process after that depends on what you plan to use your binoculars for.

If you plan in using them for long-distance glassing for game and/or trophy evaluation at moderate to long ranges, you want to stick with something in the 8X42, 10X50, or 12X50 range.  Smaller objective lenses such as 8X32 or 10X32 do not give a large enough field of view for long distance glassing for game.  Of course, if you just want a serviceable binocular for short range viewing with only occasional use rather than constant looking, the smaller objective lenses might be adequate and are generally much smaller and lighter.

I agree entirely that for most applications, you can buy a good quality pair of binoculars in the $250 to $400 range.  The really expensive bino's supposedly really show their worth in low-light conditions and their durability,...and I have heard that often the manufacturer will repair or replace them free of charge if you damage them.  However, the medium-cost-range bino's seem to be pretty durable, as well, and are perfectly functional under most all light conditions during daylight hours. 

The really cheap binoculars you see are generally not worth buying for any serious use.  Their problem is often not one of clarity,...many of them seem quite adequate when you look through them new,...but those generally are not durable and can be knocked out of alignment very easily.  There is nothing more frustrating than having to use binoculars that will not stay aligned so that you constantly have double vision when looking through them.  The cheap ones also tend to get dirt inside the lenses over time and will also fog-up under wet conditions.

My personal choice for the last several years has been a pair of Leupold's in 10X50 that I have used a lot for all kinds of hunting in the west under very abusive conditions.  They cost me $250 back when I bought them and they have performed flawlessly.  I would recommend that brand to anyone, assuming they are still the same quality.  However, I am sure there are other brands that may well be just as good in the same price range or thereabouts.

Obviously, a person can buy the $1,000 + bino's if they can afford them and they feel like they want to.  My opinion though is that under most conditions that most hunters will hunt under, those bino's will provide no advantage whatsoever to the user. 

beagler

Never Misses

Boilermaker

I bought a pair of Nikon Monarch 3's, and I am very happy with them.  These were my first pair of quality binoculars, and I felt the price I spent on them was worth it for the product I received.  I suppose I am pretty partial to Nikon since every other optic and scope I own is Nikon, but they produce quality products.  Good luck with the decision, there are lots of good choices out there.

mudhen

Quote from: vaturkey on October 28, 2014, 10:33:46 PM

Leupold Mohave 10x42 ! Clear as just about other brands ! Lightweight ! About 500.00

This....
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

gaswamp

don't know how good they are, but Bushnell Legend binocs have a $100 rebate going on right now

VaTuRkStOmPeR

No, vortex cannot stack up to Swarovski, Leica or the high end Zeiss lines. Leupold just replaced a pair of my brother's cascade 10x40s with the new Mohaves.  Honestly, they suck in the clarity department and im not impressed with their low light capabilities, either. If I was only looking to spend 450-500, I'd get the Zeiss Terra 10x42s.

Personally, I would get on Ebay and look for a pair of swarovski SLC 10x42 or Leica Trinovid 10x42.  You can find them in the 1250-1500 range.

I love my Leupold 10x28 Gold Rings because they are perfect for turkey hunting and hanging off my safety harness for a treestand binocular but there is no comparison to my Swarovski 10x42s for big game hunting and scouting whitetails.

Swarovski customer service will also put anyone else to shame.

Halfski

I went to Cabelas and tested dozens of binos.  Nothing compared to the Swarovski and Zeiss models, but they are of course very expensive.  I ended up getting the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD, and overall I am happy with the purchase.  The optics on the Legend Ultra HD are similar to much more expensive models.  In my opinion they give you the best best bang for your buck.  The only downfall is that after a good amount of use there is now a little "play" in my "magnification adjuster." (It is somewhat loose, but still functions properly). 

hunter22

I have used Sworovski 8X30 binoculars for years. Crystal clear and tough as can be. I bought my son some 8X30 Leica's. They may even be clearer than the Sworovski's. Both are expensive but if you want a set that will last you 30 plus years then these are good ones.   

drenalinld

The top end are better in low light but also in eye fatigue when glassing hours in a day.