Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Did some more patterning with my NEF 20 gauge...Nitros vs. Federals

Started by ssramage, March 19, 2011, 03:11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssramage

Did some more patterning with my NEF 20 gauge this morning and was very pleased with the results. Both patterns are good, but I wanted to get some input. First the patterns. All of these were shot through a Colonial Arms .575 X-Full turkey choke.

Nitro 7s
236 @ 40 yds

FED HWT 7s
183 @ 40 yds

So is it worth the extra penetration of the Feds to give up 50ish pellets in the Nitros? Also the 20" is lacking in the Feds but not in the Nitros... So what do you say, Nitros or Feds?

redarrow

Both are nice patterns,but I have to ask why would one give more penetration than the other ?Perhaps I'm missing something.

ssramage

Quote from: redarrow on March 19, 2011, 03:27:23 PM
Both are nice patterns,but I have to ask why would one give more penetration than the other ?Perhaps I'm missing something.

The Federal Heavyweights are a more dense shot

redarrow

Thank you.I would be happy with either. Considering the cost between  the two would be my only concern.Nitros are more costly,but are they worth it considering the capibility of the Federals.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

ssramage

Quote from: redarrow on March 19, 2011, 03:36:40 PM
Thank you.I would be happy with either. Considering the cost between  the two would be my only concern.Nitros are more costly,but are they worth it considering the capibility of the Federals.

Cost is the hangup for me right now. The Nitros are a about $7ish a shell and the Federals are $5ish. I've got enough of both to last the season though so I've got time to think on it. I'm planning on testing them out first hand here pretty soon. ;)

S.C.C

Both are awesome especially the the Fed's!!! :icon_thumright:
But you have to consider what style hunting you do most if you have to choose between the two.
IMO..lookin at both patterns which shell offers more margin a bit closer or even at 40yards?
If your gun will shoot the Fed. like that every shot and you never plan to shoot under 40yards they would  be the better choice,shoot them at 25 and 30 and you will see what I'm getting at.
With that shell and your combo you only have a 10" pattern at 40 yards. :anim_25:

ssramage

Quote from: S.C.C on March 19, 2011, 04:20:32 PM
Both are awesome especially the the Fed's!!! :icon_thumright:
But you have to consider what style hunting you do most if you have to choose between the two.
IMO..lookin at both patterns which shell offers more margin a bit closer or even at 40yards?
If your gun will shoot the Fed. like that every shot and you never plan to shoot under 40yards they would  be the better choice,shoot them at 25 and 30 and you will see what I'm getting at.
With that shell and your combo you only have a 10" pattern at 40 yards. :anim_25:

That's my only problem with the Feds so far. I'm leaning towards the Nitros but they need to see some game time before I'm completely jumping on the bandwagon. :you_rock:

S.C.C

ssramage

Quote from: S.C.C on March 19, 2011, 04:33:05 PM
I want your GUN!!!! NOW! NOW! :lol:        :happy0064: :happy0064:

This one ain't going anywhere. Got it from my mom for Christmas the year before she passed away. It holds more sentimental value than any other gun I own...the way it patterns doesn't hurt either though.

For what it's worth, to build this gun you would have less than $500 in the entire set up including the Burris and custom gun work.

S.C.C

J/K Buddy :lol:......It is a nice look'in rig and a shooter as well!! :icon_thumright:
Best of luck to ya this season....

R AJ

I would use the Nitros if I felt the urge to spend more money per shell. Either pattern gets it .
Once over 120 per 10" circle and assuming a decent coverage it is mox nix from there.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase