turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hand Whittled Striker

Started by hunter22, August 17, 2014, 12:54:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunter22

Here's one I finished today out of Peach. Soft wood that sounds good on copper and slate.

Roughneck

sbbow

callmakerman

I want mine from dogwood please.  :turkey2: :TooFunny: Nice work Rickey :icon_thumright:

Idratherb

MAN RICKEY I WISH I HAD YOUR MONEY AND TIME...ID BE ALOT HAPPIER

hunter22

Maybe my time Jeff. If you had my money you would be in big trouble. But when you get my age and the kids are all college educated and on their own it does not take much to get by. But wait, then the grandkids start showing up wanting something from Pawpaw. Oh well, they will get it as long as I have something to give. 

outdoors

MAYBE HE HAS A HIDDEN TREE THAT HE CLIMBES TO HAVE SOME QUALITY ALONE TIME TO
                                         WHITTLE        :laugh:
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

hunter22

Bill,

I am not sure if these are going to work. Quite a bit of spalting in a Pink Dogwood. I am hoping to have enough wood to make four like these. If I do one of them will be headed to Rome, NY. But with the fine strikers you make you will laugh at my Hillbilly style.

Triple B

Quote from: hunter22 on August 21, 2014, 11:07:56 AM
Maybe my time Jeff. If you had my money you would be in big trouble. But when you get my age and the kids are all college educated and on their own it does not take much to get by. But wait, then the grandkids start showing up wanting something from Pawpaw. Oh well, they will get it as long as I have something to give.

You could always give them a pot call or two.You should have plenty to go around. :TooFunny:

callmakerman

Quote from: hunter22 on August 21, 2014, 04:04:20 PM
Bill,

I am not sure if these are going to work. Quite a bit of spalting in a Pink Dogwood. I am hoping to have enough wood to make four like these. If I do one of them will be headed to Rome, NY. But with the fine strikers you make you will laugh at my Hillbilly style.

No laughing here Rickey they look fine to me and I'm sure they play as well. You mess with enough calls to know what works and what doesn't.

hunter22

I think these might work. I wasn't sure when I started whittling and saw all the spalting. Still a long way from finishing. 

Triple B

From the first photo when you started, that is some very good work.Especially just using a knife and sandpaper.  They are really taking shape,and they will rip on a call for sure.

M,Yingling

Nice work on the strikers ,,,,very cool
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

gwa

I seem to have missed this thread. Pretty nice Rickey!

How dry does the wood have to be?

Denny

hunter22

Denny,

I do not have a moisture meter and would not know what was good if I did. When I started whittling a few years ago I got a couple big boxes of 1"X1"X12" pieces of all types of wood from ebay and a forum member. Lots of Oak , Cherry, Maple, Teak, Ash, etc. This wood was all kiln dried. I have about used it all up. Now I am trying to use wood that I find. The Dogwood strikers I am working on now came from a Pink Dogwood that had some dead limbs and had been that way for over a year. The Peach I recently made came from a limb I cut last summer and it had been drying in the barn for a year. I think the best wood to use is standing dead stuff if you can find it.