turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

WV Limb Hanger

Started by WV Ridge Reaper, May 19, 2014, 07:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Ridge Reaper

Boy where do I start...Started out early this morning and got on a roosted bird,well things never panned out there.

So down the road I went to another place,I had the morning to burn and at 8 it was to early to call it quits.

I got to the other land few miles away and left the truck hiking for the top of the mountian..It flattened off in one spot just under the top,looked like a good place to sit down and give a few calls,so I did.

As soon as I sat down,I could of swore I heard a bird gobble..I second guessed myself since things are really thick and green here now.So after about 20 mins I had to move,I started towards the top where a big field is.

As I crest the top a air plane came across real low to the ground and a turkey started hammering like 5-6 in a row,I couldn't believe it.I thought this bird was to the left across a hollar and against the other ridge...Plus that is where I thought I had heard that first gobble to begin with.

I took of beat feet down over the hill in some small pines and pasture,I got to the bottom and waited for this turkey to gobble just one more time so I could sit up.Well here was another plane that comes across and he gobbles.

At this point when he gobbled it honestly sounded like he was right beside me but keep in mind I'm standing in a field close to the woods edge.I was lost,didn't know which was to head after this bird because I couldn't pin point him.

I looked to my right and the owner had cut two rows of small pines and had pushed them up...There was to rows 10 wide and 75-100 yards long each.So I crouch down and walk beside one row to the other end.

Well about half way threw I poke my head up and look out in the field for a turkey,never seen anything at first then straight in front of me to my right a tad there he stood in full strut under a huge oak tree.

At the time I thought this will never work,so I slipped out of my vest threw in my trinity call from Drew and got down on all four working to the other end of this brush line.

I stopped a few times to peak and check the distance,closer and closer I kept getting.Finally I reached the edge of it,I turned my head down hill yelped and purred a few times...He would look my way but wouldn't move or gobble..This went of for a few mins and I tried to make my move but every time I did he would look my way.Here I am almost standing up trying not to move,my legs feel like they are burning on fire I'm all shook up shakin haha.

So I finally had enough and told my self when he turned his head or body away I was standing up taking one step to the left and shooting.So he did and I made my move he turned and looked at me when I stepped left but I didn't give him time to blink a eye!!!He dropped like no ones business,the Longbeard XRs are approved in my book,I'm very thankful my buddy loaned me his Benille M2 12 gauge for the whole week...Other wise my 20 gauge I wouldn't of taken the shot.

I ran up to him and he never moved a bit until I went to pick him up,finally after he got done I rolled him over and looked at the beard and I thought mmm 8 inches not bad and I would of been happy if it would of been 6 inches...So I roll him on over and looked at the spurs WOW I didn't realize it but I had a limb hanger.

I called the taxi up and told him I was on my way,I was planning on just having the bird caped out from the neck to the fan so I could display it on the wall....But after talking to a few guys and Donald I ended up with a full body mount.

I knew I had something good but didn't realize how good until Donald texted back and told me Stud!!! Haha one heck of a day it has been...I lost my Halloran one piece PurpleHeart striker,and that's my go to...But I am done for the year.

I haven't missed a day all season so I don't know if it just finally paid off or I just got lucky but I am thankful for what ever it was...I've hunted with two great people this year and they know who they are...My ol fart buddy that I got to meet on here...When he speaks I listen.I'm still a green horn at this but I'm learning...Many of you know about my trip a week or so ago with my friend from high school,If I could of had one person with me today to see me do this it would of been him,I think his Benille made me a believer today.

If anyone has ideals one what pose to get him mounted please speak up...I want his spur to be seen,if it wouldn't of been for those hooks I'd never got this bird mounted.

WNY Bowhunter

Congrats.  That's a great gobbler!!! :icon_thumright:
"I'm not from New Yawk.  I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"
"It's not a passion. It's an OBSESSION."

davisd9

Congratulations again buddy!  Like I told you on the phone, green with envy!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

trkehunr93

Nice upgrade!  I killed one in 2011 that weighed 23 lbs. and had 1.5" spurs, he went to the taxidermist that weekend.  I went with a standing mount because I had to chase him down a steep ridge after the shot and I ended up sitting on him at one point when I lost my footing and pulled a bunch of feathers out at the base of his tail feathers.  Standing was my only option but it shows the hooks he had.

davisd9

These are the poses I kind have always liked.  May do the half strut with a gobble.  I like these because it shows the birds entirely.  You can see the size of the bird, the spurs, and the beard.    I also like the standing pose, as if he is standing there searching for the hen with one foot in front of the other.

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

davisd9

Quote from: trkehunr93 on May 20, 2014, 09:43:33 AM
Nice upgrade!  I killed one in 2011 that weighed 23 lbs. and had 1.5" spurs, he went to the taxidermist that weekend.  I went with a standing mount because I had to chase him down a steep ridge after the shot and I ended up sitting on him at one point when I lost my footing and pulled a bunch of feathers out at the base of his tail feathers.  Standing was my only option but it shows the hooks he had.

Heck of a bird!

WV Ridge Reaper

Here are a few crappy screen shot pics of ones I like.

trkehunr93

Those you've picked look good!  I've mounted two and I opted with what were they doing right before I shot them.  The Rio I killed in TX was strutting prior to the shot and the VA bird I mounted was standing just like that looking for the hens he heard right before I shot.  I only plan to mount a Merriam and an Osceola if and when I get a chance to hunt them, one pose I do like is the dead turkey hanging.  It's different.  See the link below.

http://i898.photobucket.com/albums/ac187/bowhunter-84/DSCN0131.jpg

WV Ridge Reaper

Indeed,I really really like the dead turkey pose.But not for this one.

WV Ridge Reaper

Went and settled up with the  taxidermy today...Ended up going with a 3/4 strut...Hoping to have it turn out just like the bird on the left in the pic

davisd9

Good choice!

Sent from the Strut Zone

WV Ridge Reaper

So am I a keeper for the team? Or are you guys givin me the boot haha

davisd9

You participated, even of you did not harvest we would keep you.

Sent from the Strut Zone