turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Afternoon birds

Started by MEbeardlover, May 12, 2014, 09:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MEbeardlover

We have PM hunting for the first time. Saturday afternoon I was walking a hunting property and periodically blowing the crow call. After an hour a bird immediately hammered back, in an overgrown field about fifty yards to the right. I was in the woods. I tried to get too fine with the setup, and by the time I got my butt plunked down, I had put another fifty yards between me and the bird. Never heard him again.

Too fine with the setup? I needed to get into some shade.

Marc

A run and gun afternoon hunt?

Personally, I like to locate birds using a hen call.  I also softly cluck, putt, or purr while walking if the terrain allows for it (I have freqently noticed while doing this that birds gobble behind me as I think they fear the hen is walking away from them).

I will stop every so often and give some louder yelps or cuts, but when I stop to do so, I am either sitting or standing by a good hide/tree.

Once I hear a bird respond, I am sitting my butt down and not moving...  I have found that birds do not gobble as much later in the day, but many that do gobble come in fast and hard.  Once I get that response, I sit down and stay quiet for several minutes, and then call again to try and get some perspective of where the bird is, and if I need to move or make any change.

And not to hijack the thread, but I am on this forum to learn as well.  While running and gunning, what is the advantage of using a crow call over a turkey call (I realize the advantage while roosting birds)...  It has been my experience that when a crow call does work, the birds are usually close, so why not a hen call?
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.