Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Couple more for me. Pics hopefully tonight

Started by chcltlabz, April 28, 2014, 08:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chcltlabz

So After killing a bird Monday and getting my butt whooped by henned up birds on Tuesday, I decided to take Wednesday off and go to work since they were calling for 15+ winds.  Wrong move, because both Derek and Whitelightning killed birds.  Isn't that always the way? 

Winds were supposed to be better on Thursday, so we headed out to a new piece of property we've never hunted.  We got on a bird in a field just hammering it and managed to get on the edge of the same field he was in, only to hear a car pull up at the end of the road and park within 50 yards of where this bird is strutting in the field, in plain sight.  To make it worse, he got out and tried to call to the bird :angry9:  He didn't completely shut down, but as he left the field, he'd only get to about 50 yards of us, and not a step closer.  I watched the color drain from his head and knew that game was over.  He was a beaut too.  At least a 20 inch beard, maybe 24 with matching 2 inch spurs.  He might have been a tad smaller, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.  The winds picked up and hearing a bird got very tough.  I ended up hitting the corner of a field and had a gobbler answer right around the corner from me.  I peeked around and saw 2 longbeards with hens headed slowly away from me.  He'd answer every call, but the hens got farther away with every call.  The wind did cover my end-around very well though, and I managed to get around in front of them and the hens led him in front of me.  Couple clucks and he inched closer to check me out and ate some Mag Blends.  Another 2 year old with 1 inch and 7/8 spurs, 20 pounds and a 9 inch beard.

Fast forward to Friday, and we heard ZERO on the roost where Monday we heard at least 2 dozen.  Not good.  A few properties later, and I was working my way around another field and saw a hen scurrying away through the tall grass.  I peeked around the corner and saw a tom and more hens, so I just sat on the corner and let out a few calls.  He wouldn't gobble, but he did blow up into strut and worked my way about another 40 yards and down he went.  Possibly a 3 year old (probably 2) with a 10 inch beard, 1 inch spurs and 22.5 pounds.  A bit of an upgrade (when I get pics loaded).  Another bird shock gobbled at my gun, so I called my buddy over and proceeded to call a longbeard in for him to miss twice at 30 yards in the open. :z-dizzy:  Finally a bird hammering back to the call the way they're supposed to, and he flinches and whiffs.

Was a very lucky week for me with some very tough birds.  Thank God for high bird numbers, and I can't wait for the birds to break up, because it could get nuts here.

Pics will follow soon.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

MDbowman

Nice work Brent. Hit some new spots this mornimg. I had nothing going except a good drawn out pissing match with a hen that included her 'gobbling' at me twice. All that yakking didn't draw one gobble.

BowBendr

Good job brother, birds still aren't working right for a lot of people on the forum. Maybe they'll break loose soon.......

BowBendr

Great pics Brent ! Got you updated in the team score section.  :icon_thumright: