OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Need advice please.

Started by 34NY, April 25, 2014, 05:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

34NY

This is my first year hunting.  I've done my scouting and located at least 2 males about 130-180 yards from where I'm going to setup. (Bow hunting from a blind) They're roosting along a creek and I believe they're coming right by me to hit a nearby field.  Tomorrow I'm gonna sit out there as if I was hunting till probably 10-11am.  Here's my question.  If they don't come by me should I go to where I think they are roosted and look for proof?  I.E. feathers, scat, dusting holes...or just leave em be?  If I should go look for proof should I do it in the afternoon or mid-morning?  Not sure if this matters but this flock has been spotted all April.  25+ birds, the area has never been hunted, ever.

MEbeardlover

With an area that has seen little hunting pressure, you can have more flexibility. But all the time you spend tromping around will have some sort of impact.

Essentially, you are hunting these birds based on their pattern of movement. That is good tactic if you have a good bead on where and when they move.

But to answer your question, confirming roost sites is good scouting practice. But the best time to do it is well away from fly down or fly up time.

And by the way, my first turkey season was spent with a bow. Shortly after the end of that season, I was the proud new owner of a Mossberg 500. Now, my first tag is for Mossy, the second tag is for Hoyt.