OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pot Call Recommendations

Started by COssman14, April 25, 2014, 10:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

COssman14

I have always been a fan of using mouth calls but lately really like using pot calls. I don't have anything nice but they work. So my question is I was wanting to get a really nice all around pot call. What would you recommend for surface, wood, and striker type? Any advice would be appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why shoot a 3.5"? Because they don't make a 4".

scoot12

You really can't go wrong with cherry or walnut in your pot calls,  both make excellent sound slate and glass or crystal calls,  cherry is going to be a little higher pitched and walnut a little lower.  Purpleheart and diamondwood make excellend strikers for slate and glass or crystal calls.  If I where you I would get a cherry slate call and a walnut glass or crystal.  Will give you two different sounds and purpleheart and diamondwoods should run good on them.  Scoot

COssman14

Quote from: scoot12 on April 25, 2014, 11:02:22 PM
You really can't go wrong with cherry or walnut in your pot calls,  both make excellent sound slate and glass or crystal calls,  cherry is going to be a little higher pitched and walnut a little lower.  Purpleheart and diamondwood make excellend strikers for slate and glass or crystal calls.  If I where you I would get a cherry slate call and a walnut glass or crystal.  Will give you two different sounds and purpleheart and diamondwoods should run good on them.  Scoot
Who makes nice pot calls in those combinations? Thanks for the advice!

ky turkey hunter

Hot hen slate mr Sneed great all around call and a great guy

scoot12

Paul Platz makes an excellent cherry slate and a great walnut glass.  If you want a real raspy call Jimmy Schaffer makes a call named the mad hen that is walnut with laminates and its a crystal surface.  Clint corder makes an excellent jatoba slate call and I believe jatoba is Brazilian cherry.

Abryant7

Hard to recommend 1 when there's so many great call makers! So iv come to the conclusion I need 1 of everything... Haha! First call out of my vest is the david halloran twisted sister! Comes with dymondwood and Purple Heart striker and is a killer. With that being said the names previously mentioned also make amazing calls and you won't be disappointed from there craftsmanship either.

COssman14

Thank you every one for the recommendations! I appreciate it.

rdmar

MikeStaten

QuotePaul Platz makes an excellent cherry slate and a great walnut glass.  If you want a real raspy call Jimmy Schaffer makes a call named the mad hen that is walnut with laminates and its a crystal surface

:agreed:

I don't have Paul Plata's slate but I have his glass call in mahogany and it sounds great. Schaffer's (oak ridge custom calls) calls are also great, but as mentioned, the two I have (aluminum and pissed off hen) are definitely raspy.  Another favorite is David halloran's twisted sister. The platz, halloran and Schaffer calls came with good dymondwood strikers. Another striker I like is a monkeywood strikers by Dad's Calls. 

hpo

Partial to Gobbler Down Calls.  Great person to work with and beautiful, realistic calls!
Shoot'em in the Face!