OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

hung up bird

Started by Boomstick, March 16, 2011, 04:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boomstick

ok southern al season opened yesterday, this is my first turkey season and i went out, saw a grand daddy gobbler and in the morning i couldnt get him to come inside 100 yards of me, i wasnt callin really loud or calling a whole lot. i let him walk because i know were he roosts, but im moving slow bc i had knee surgery 2 weeks ago and im on crutches(taped up in realtree hardwoods, mainly to make them quiet). i moved to a better position closer to the spot he roosts and tried to get him on his way back in, and i got him to come in to about 45 yards, but he was hung up behind some saplings and i couldnt get a good clean shot, and although i probably could have dropped him with the shot, i chose not to because i refuse to take a shot im not sure about. i went and cut the saplings down(mostly because i was mad), but what can i do in that kinda situation if it comes up in the future? any help would be great

charlie
"Good... Bad... Im the guy with the gun" Ash from army of darkness

stinkpickle

I'd do the same thing that you just did...but move in even closer (if possible) tomorrow.

jshively

I applaud your respect for the bird by not taking the shot through the saplings.  And hunting on crutches wins you even more respect.  I would agree with stinkpickle about getting in closer - but that is in the best case scenario.  An old gobbler is just going to do what it wants (kind of why he is not dead already).  Just keep gettin at it and one time it will all come together.  You did not spook him so you should be fine. 

gunnerj

Knee surgery, cruthches that's hard core baby! Sounds like you have his morning strut zone figured out. You need to be set up on the exiting end of the strut zone(the direction he went when he was done). Yelp so he can hear you(responds), then get conservative on the calling(make him come looking).  :anim_25:

Basin_hunter

Sounds like you got him figured out ! Good luck tomorrow !
In fall we rut, in spring we strut

lmbhngr

I would switch up your calls, stay in that area you just were, hit him with a couple of purrs and clucks when he pitches down, and just stay quiet don`t call to much. Curiousity will get the best of him.

Boomstick

thanks for all the advice fellas, ill deffinately keep al that in mind on friday morning, cant go out till then because of the four letter word(work). ill try and get out a little earlier and see if maybe i cant get in there a little bit closer in the mornin and get in a spot that i can get him in close. the only problem is, i cant get al the way to the exiting side of his strut zone cause ill be sitting right in the middle of the farthest tower of a skeet shooting range. im already right on the edge and i dont want clay pigeon shot falling all over me and god forbid somebody is shooting trap... i know it sounds crazy hunting at a very active skeet range, but you gotta go were the birds are right
:z-guntootsmiley: just gotta stay out of their firing lines and the guy that runs the range told me that hell try and keep people off of that last tower as best he can, but i still kinda try and steer clear of the line of fire as mych as possible. thanks again for all the great advice, im glad yall are here for me to tickle your gray matter :you_rock:
"Good... Bad... Im the guy with the gun" Ash from army of darkness

Reloader

If they are close and gobble at a series of yelps, I usually don't do anything but clucks and purrs.  Scratching in the leaves usually pulls em that last little bit as well, but be careful if you think he can see you.