turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

choke/shell for Mossy 500 youth model

Started by Spur Crazy, March 16, 2011, 12:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spur Crazy

My son is finally ready to harvest to his own bird - I've already been told that "he's going to get the first bird this year, and not me" (he's the one taking the picture of me in my avatar). He's a great kid and I want him to have success this year. I have an 835 that I use as a primary gun.

It might be a little redundant, but can anybody give me a good, affordable combo for my son's youth model Mossberg 500? Not looking to break the bank like I have in the past on other guns. What constriction does it like and shell?

Relatively new to this forum so I appreciate all of the help! Good luck this spring!  ;D

TrkyHntr

A primos tightwad .570 is a good choke for the money. They usually run around $20-$25. I would try the H-13 #7's for the shells. If you go with a non-ported choke, try the Fed HW #7's.

Shane
He's big enough to ride in my truck!

knightrider

i have a tightwad in my sons mossy twenty, it puts up 170-190 at 35 yards with the old rem hevi shot shells

whiskey

My daughters 20ga 500 has an Undertaker choke and is shooting the 3" Hevi Magnum Blends very nicely at 30 yards. I didn't count holes, but it was a great pattern. Last year she shot the 3" remington #5's and they were satisfactory, but the Hevi is much better.

Be warned, those 3" shells pack a punch in that light weight gun. My daughter got rolled backwards for a flip last year when she fired with her feet up hill and leaned against a skinny tree. Roller her right over.  We laughed till be cried, even though she missed the jake. I just have her practice with bird shot before season. She gets lots of cheap trigger time and no bruise. She did fire one 3" in practice this year and her arm went numb.