turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

new yorkers.....hearing anything?

Started by Teebugg, March 26, 2014, 11:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teebugg

Upstate here....havent heard a peep. Then again all the turkeys i see are still flocked up. Late spring im thinking....

Ctburdchasr

I am in Connecticut and I for one am glad that our season doesnt start for another month.....I fortunately live on a piece of land that is the turkeys selected roosting ground everyday I have a flock of atleast 30 birds come through my 3 acre piece and roost in my back yard....That being said I mess with them constantly calling and what not, but I dont have to look far to see the spring activity. Right now I have a group of about 10-15 long beard mature birds come through daily and the big flock 4-5 young jakes with a large number (25 or better) of hens twice a day. due to the weather there is no strutting no gobbling not a single peep. the total opposite of last year when they were henning up at this time. I guess i will have to see when May comes around.

2much2loud

I have heard a couple last few weeks coyote hunting .... Not a lot tho

steinea286

Heard first turkey last year on March 8th while snow goose hunting. I have not heard one this year yet but have seen some strutting the last two weeks and many more flock appearing. While scoping out the gobblers, I have seen some surprising beards this year, even after all the snow. I thought they would freeze short, but I'm not complaining!

JALA Strut

Haven't heard any gobbles yet but last week I did see a couple strutters...They're getting ready to start as soon as the weather turns "springy"...with the warm up coming it won't be too long from now!  I can't wait until May 1st!

Teebugg

Im hoping to get out and do a little scouting this weekend. May 1 hurry up!

hunter-b

jordanz7935

I've been hearing them gobble for a couple weeks now. I've been seeing strutters everyday for the last week straight.

Teebugg

mikejd

This could be good for us. Because I feel on a mild winter like we have had for a while the bulk of the breeding takes place long before May 1st rolls around. If we have a late spring things will probably be heating up come the 1st.

Teebugg

I hope so!  I know the weather turns a little cold again next week. Maybe itll keep them at bay until we hit the woods!

jordanz7935

Yea they're definately in the mood. I watched 4 longbeards fighting this afternoon. I cant say ive ever seen gobblers fight like that before. They were kicking the sh** out of each other! There was 23 birds total in the field.And The best part of it was i was just leaving the landowners house getting permission to hunt the property!! I think it'll be a good spot!!

steinea286

Decent gobbling over the warm weekend and the groups of birds are slowly starting to break up. Saw a pair of strutters with 2 hens and a lone gobbler with 2 hens Sunday. Been tougher to find em this year but things are getting better and better!

HillCritter

Been hearing them since the end of march. Was out scouting two weeks ago and they were still flocked up pretty well in Otsego County. But they were gobbling up a storm.
And my idea of heaven is chasing white tailed bucks.

HillCritter

anyone hearing them lately? Next thursday is coming quickly!!!  :gobble: :z-guntootsmiley: :gobble:
And my idea of heaven is chasing white tailed bucks.