OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

870 Super Mag and Primos Tightwad

Started by ShowMeShooter, March 19, 2014, 05:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShowMeShooter

I'm a new turkey hunter (first solo season) looking for some incite from the pros. Here is a few pattern pics from my new 870 with a Primos tightwad. I have more pics but this should give an idea of what I'm getting. I'll also add this is with a 26" barrel. How would a shorter barrel effect patterns? What do you guys think?

Hevi-shot 3.5" Magnum blend 40 yards,

Same backer as above but with the turkey target removed 40 yards,

Winchester Double X 3.5" #5 shot

Win Long Beard XR 3" #5 shot

Gooserbat

As long as you poa is good I would just leave it alone.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

ShowMeShooter

Are these about average patterns? My season doesn't open until April, so I have some time for improvements.

BigStrutter

Those are great patterns! Good luck!
"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep"

nyhunter

Your good to go save your money. A shorter barrel may or may not change your pattern pellet count . I can say from experience because I have a 23" 24" and 26" My son Carry's the 23" and I carry 1 of the others there's not much difference when your carrying them, and they all pattern VERY close to the same. I'm talkin within 10 pellets of each other.   

surehuntsalot

you don't need no improvements
those are some great patterns,all you need is for the season to open.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

ShowMeShooter

good enough, I guess I'll put it away, stop burning ammo up, and wait for season to open up.....

albrubacker

The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

tomstopper

I would say your ready the way it is. Good luck to you this season.....

ShowMeShooter

thanks fellas, well I wasn't able to leave well enough alone. After getting a blow to the head from this Pursuit scope, it went back to Bass Pro and a Nikon Turkey pro has replaced it. I still need to zero the thing, hoping for a decent day tomorrow. I guess I learned my lesson on taking the advise from people instead of doing my own research. A week off work and a concussion later I'm back in the shooting saddle.

d.winsor

I don't know how you are sighting in  your gun but you could start with 2 3/4" shells at 12 yards.  Put a target up with a 1" square in the center of it.  Shoot at it, where ever your shot hit, adjust to hit the 1" square with your next shot.  Shoot at 1" squares until you can shoot it out.  Then take a 36 x 36" target with a 1" square in the center and set it 40 yards away.  Now shoot your turkey loads, Use another target and adjust your scope so the dense part of the pattern is centered on your 1" square, Then shoot again.  When you think you have it try one more shot to verify it.  Also use a rifle rest at 40 yards and 12 yards, it is surprising how those little dots move.  Your gun should be zeroed with a lot less recoil than shooting all turkey loads, Also it is a lot cheaper than shooting all turkey loads.

Gobble!

This is a good example of a cheap choke doing big things with quality ammunition.

lowoctane

Quote from: Gooserbat on March 19, 2014, 05:20:29 PM
As long as you poa is good I would just leave it alone.
That's what I'm thinking... :drool:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

lowoctane

Quote from: ShowMeShooter on April 08, 2014, 01:08:07 AM
thanks fellas, well I wasn't able to leave well enough alone. After getting a blow to the head from this Pursuit scope, it went back to Bass Pro and a Nikon Turkey pro has replaced it. I still need to zero the thing, hoping for a decent day tomorrow. I guess I learned my lesson on taking the advise from people instead of doing my own research. A week off work and a concussion later I'm back in the shooting saddle.
You ok now?
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life