OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

sighting in new 20ga. scope

Started by econo, March 14, 2011, 05:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

econo

Put a new pro diamond on my new mossy 500 today. Does most people sight in scope with cheap low brass shells 1st? then fine tune with the shells you will be hunting with? What distance do you shoot at, when 1st sighting in?
Thanks
May God bless you all

bigwayne17

Thats what I'd do if I was you. Shoot dove loads at about 15 steps or so, close enough to where the shot make a solid hole in the paper. Adjust til its right

Then back it out and shoot the loads you plan on huntin with.

hookedspur

Quote from: bigwayne17 on March 14, 2011, 06:18:47 PM
Thats what I'd do if I was you. Shoot dove loads at about 15 steps or so, close enough to where the shot make a solid hole in the paper. Adjust til its right

:agreed: Thats what I do
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

kyhareraiser

tyats the way i start ,with the low power shells . i live in a hollar with steep banks on each side of the hill so i take a walk and pick maybe a light colored leaf on the ground and shoot at that .if the leaf is gone after you shoot then sight in..if you shoot low,hi,right left  you can adjust the scope ,pick another leaf and shoot it ..same thing till you get it right on.. saves walking and targets plus you get to shoot diffrent ranges and see how it works ..does good for me that way,,i do it ever year...

timbrhuntr

I just sighted in my prodiamond on the 12 gauge yesterday. I use light 2 3/4" loads and shoot from a rest at about 15 yds. Once I can center the black dot on the paper I put in the turkey load and try it. If its good I move back to 30 as the range only goes that far and shoot it. If good I take a couple off hand shots to see how it looks as well usually more to do with me than the scope. Now I know the pattern up close and at 30 yds.

WyoHunter

Quote from: bigwayne17 on March 14, 2011, 06:18:47 PM

That's what I do too.  :icon_thumright:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!